Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new guy here, I've had my car about 10 days now. I'm looking to install a boost gauge, but I want a gauge that doesn't stick out too much. I want the car to appear stock if someone looks at it. Are there any smaller guages I can install somewhere other than on the A-pillar?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
i installed a boost gauge in the heater vent to the right of the driver for a friend a few years back. worked out really well. last time i saw the car a few months back, he still had it there with no issues from the heater or anything.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
monoxidechild said:
i installed a boost gauge in the heater vent to the right of the driver for a friend a few years back. worked out really well. last time i saw the car a few months back, he still had it there with no issues from the heater or anything.
The heater vent to the left of the driver also works well.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I installed a 3 gauge cluster in the centre air vents. Looks good.

For security, I re-fashioned the air-vents into a cover to cover up the gauges when parked.
Will post pictures sometime

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have mine mounted on-top of the steering wheel column in a VDO pod. It's offset to one side so it doesn't obstruct any of the other gauges. It looks really nice, is easy to see and isn't visable from outside of the car.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Max

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maxx, I really want to see pics of that VDO pod. Top of the steering column sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the quick replies everyone, this website is a really great place.
Jason

·
Registered
128 Posts
SixSick6 are those the guages that light up awesomely at night ???.

Nice arrangement with the guages but when i install the guage i'm going to mount it above the drivers side left heater vent (I live in aus so we drive on the right side of the road)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
and technically my car has the stock boost gauge. })

i find it strange that the mx6 came with 4 gauges, yet the probe came with 7, and then u can toss on our onboard trip comp, and thats adds like 20 safety lights for numerous crap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
nice ideas on alternate locations to put gauges. I myself went for the a pillar pod, i also went with gauges which black out when the ignition isnt on so ppl cant tell what i got :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here are the pics of my steering column mount...sorry for the bad pics.

Its a sport-comp gauge in a VDO gauge pod. The pressure line and illumination wires go into the steering column, through that grommet, so you don't have to worry about pinching the line when you tilt the wheel. I didn't quite capture the actual perspective that you see it when driving, but none of the warning lights are blocked.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
monoxidechild said:
and technically my car has the stock boost gauge. })
i find it strange that the mx6 came with 4 gauges, yet the probe came with 7, and then u can toss on our onboard trip comp, and thats adds like 20 safety lights for numerous crap.
Those gauges are nothing but dummy lights with a needle. They arent accurate by any means, you'll figure that out when you have an aftermarket gauge to compare to.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did you guys get the A-pillar mounts for the gauges? And are they made specifiacally for the MX-6? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts