Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a amplifier this month.
My question is where to mount it?
So far I know the fuel tank is under the trunk so that's not a option.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I mounted mine on the back of the back seat. Works pretty nice and takes up almost no space. I was first going to put in the corner of the trunk but then I realized I could get to the controls very easily.

·
Registered
359 Posts
On my Amp

On my Amp it has a fan on it and it helps out the amp when the car gets hot. I've had my amp their for about 3 years bhind the seat with no problems.

if you want my advice bolt it to your back seat it saves room and it looks cool when you pull the seat down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are better places to mount amps...

Most people on most smallish cars mount their amps on the back of the rear seats. It's a decent place to put them.

For me however, I made a custom sub box myself and mounted my two amps on the two sides of the sub box. I added mounting braces to the sides so the wood where i mount is 1.5" thick and also creates an air space for air to pass under and cool the amps. Also I pulled the rear speakers out so there is a little bit of breathability in the trunk...but more importantly the subs can pound into the cabin with less restrain and the soundstage is better this way. But right now in Toronto is 35degsC...not nice for me or my amps....

I'll post pics of my setup sometime...rite now i'm trying to figure out what's the best mounting setup i should use for the Infinity 6.5" I have for the front.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you're getting a woofer box..

I'd put it either on the seat, but i like mine being on the woofer box. Just make sure you put velcro on the bottom of the box so it doesn't slide in the trunk on thos hard turns.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I thought about putting mine on the box but then I realized that whenever I might need to take the box out to make room, I would have to disconnect the amp too. With the amp in a separate location, all I have to do is take out the speaker wire to the box and lift it out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
good idea

I never though about that, since i never take the woofer out. So if you ever plan to take it out, put it on the seat, but if not, put it on the box

G

·
I was just mulling over that myself.... my sub box is huge... and the amp is mounted on teh box itself so. As it stands there is only one way to take it out... through the inside of the car.... which is really going to suck if I get a flat.... (watch... I'll get one tomorrow) I don't want to carry all the tools with meto take it apart... besides... the seat mount would probably look better anyway...lol... lets not forget the digital cap... Oh... I also have the digital readout thing for in the car... anyone have any ideas on where to mount that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank goodness for a large trunk....

I think compared to most 2-doors the 6 has a sh*tload of trunk space. I remember for my puny Isuzu Impulse....I had to mount my amp on the back seat and took out the tiny 0.7 cuft box a lot.

BTW, haven't had much slipping and sliding with my new box....2x10" Aura Competition woofers in 0.95cuft double cross-braced chambers EACH...plus my two amps weighing down the sides....i didn't weigh the combo on the scale...but i estimate it to be over 80lbs.

oh...and my 0-60 has increased by 0.2s and my 1/4 mile by 0.3s with the sub

.....ok, i don't drag race...but that's probably what would happen...

haha....it's all worth it.....some "boom-boom" to go with the "zoom-zoom"....

G

·
I forgot to mention the sliding around my box does... ripped the wire right off my ground point in the trunk..... more slack fixed that though...lol... I'm going to try the velcro thing tho... sounds better than bolting it down... for when I get a flat...(its inevitable now....)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts