Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the Mx6 is well on its way to be a reliable daily, and with the girlfreind buying a car I will have a spare for emergencies so the Corona is pretty much no longer needed.

Now where to sell it without losing too much money. Most of the price of the car, is the fact that it still drives fine and has about 8 months rego.

Option 1. Carsales. $50 to list, will put it up there for $1200-$1400 neg.

Option 2. Ebay. $5 to list, $40 if it sells at auction. Who knows how much it will go for. Ive seen a few other Coronas of similar age sell for about $1000 etc with less rego, one went for $800 with no rego!!

Option 3. Scrappers. Get $650 back from rego/insurance for handing it in. Get maybe $200 from scrappers.

Option 3 is easiest, but it would be a shame to scrap a car that is still driving, interior immaculate, paint not faded, drivetrain perfect, and only 1 previous owner. Also it has good brakes, new shocks, new clutch new battery etc. I swear if someone did a reco on this engine it would go for another 30 years no sweat.

Either way that $50 seems a bit steep when it makes like 20% of what the car is worth (exaturation, but still you get the point).

EDIT - Also this isnt a shameless plug to sell my car here on mx6.com main Aussie page, if it was I wouldnt tell you how much I could get for it at the scrappers, because then obviously anymore then that is what im willing to sell it for if im desperate :p.

·
Registered
75 Posts
scraping it is probably the best idea, my friends girlfriend had a good condition corona with no rego and she tried to sell it for months, so she sold it to someone in the end for $50. Although I'm sure yours is in better condition but you get the idea.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big difference between no rego and rego though. Just the fact that it has rego shows it is still drivable, and any car still driving legally is worth money. If you took it into an inspection, it would pass pink or blue slip easy.

The only bad thing about the car, is that it is a shit old carbie, and you have to wait for it to warm up to normal temp before you can drive it in the mornings without it stalling :).

I even have the original factory warranty papers and manuals etc, log books. The guy I bought it from bought it back in 1981 brand new, and I have the dealer reciept to prove it unlike most :). A car like this is a shame to get scrap, other wise I wouldnt hesitate.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
lol well actually. Just cause it has rego means that it was drivable when its rego was last renewed.

I reckon Ebay if you want a quick sale, Carsales if you dont mind waiting a while.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Always sell a car with rego if you can, you'll usually get back the cost of it, although these days the rego cost is about $700 if you say its worth $200 as scrap, then you'd need to get $1000 with 12months rego on it to make it worthwhile.

I sold my BG for $1400 with 11months on it.....It would not have been worth $700 unreg.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What would you sell it for without rego?
How much has the greenslip been?

And what would you sell it without insurance/rego?

Just curious..

·
Registered
356 Posts
If I'm looking for a cheap car, with rego as a runabout, then I go ebay first, then trading post.
I don't even bother with Car sales if I'm looking for a shitbox to last me 6 or 12 months.

Cars under $1000 with rego is tempting. I know plenty of people that were after exactly that.
We got offered $1000 for an N13 pulsar with a shit engine (that cuts out), blown CV shaft and no rego just off a bloke that wanted a run around for 6 months. (He did know how much of a shitbox it was aswell).

Ebay it!

·
Registered
545 Posts
if the motor perfect?
i would honestly try selling it.. mean you might have to wait a while but you never ever know.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
cmj626 said:
I don't even bother with Car sales if I'm looking for a shitbox to last me 6 or 12 months.
yes but this isnt a shitbox to last 6-12months

from the pics and turk's description its a corona in damn good condition. Plenty good enough for many happy years of motoring in it yet.

I say carsales. Might take longer but will get a better price.

·
Registered
545 Posts
OH
turk i want to remind you of this

(2million kms)And STILL going strong! :D.

Cheers fellas, I knew I had a great find and despite being quite broke, decided to buy it before some one else did, or worse he gave it to the junkyard.
^^^^^^ That should be someone elses reaction ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if my s13 turns shit, i would need a daily. and if it was in perfect running condition, i would snappp her up!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The motor sounds like a tractor from the outside (inside it sounds like an electric motor, quite nice :)) but it still managed to get me over the blue mountains to Bathurst and back without missing a beat. And it drives me everyday. It is a 30 yr old car still, the motor is tired, but it will do another year easy. Hell maybe it will do another 5 years no problem. The body and interior though is I wont lie, better then my Mazda. 100% straight, never been in a stack, a little surface rust here and there, and only one spot on the boot that has been bogged up. Oh and I have left it outside in big big storm rain, and not one drop gets inside. Leave the mx6 out there and my megasquirt was sitting in a 3" puddle of water from a rusted sunroof :(.

Only thing that is not perfect about it is being an old carbie, you have to let it warm up a good 5 minutes or more in the morning.

I think I will end up putting it on carsales, even if it is $50. Im not in a rush to sell, it drives me everyday and it is a station wagon and im moving soon so im sure it will help me quite a bit :). Actually to be honest while I was writing about why I feel bad to scrap it, I realised that I wouldnt scrap it no matter what. I would rather keep it then scrap it, it is too nice of a shitbox :).

I swear if this was a toyota corrolla of the same year, I would get 5k easy and 1 year later you would see a SR20det in it running 11's.

Redmx_tx5 you cracked me up. Oh yer and pics are in that link where REd's quote came from to prove how awesome this car is.

Oh btw, that crack in the firewall is fixed now, as well as a new master cylinder as the crack popped the seals 2 days after I got it fixed.

Now you know how much I paid for it though :D. See the difference for value between a car that wont pass a blue slip and has no rego compared to a car with rego that will pass next pinkslip easy. :)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well I'd say think about it.

look at your market.

It's pefect for uni students - tight arses and it will be cheap.

Market it that way. And sell it that way.

Advertise on Forums - Hello I'm sure some toyota nut at the right price would buy it. Or that P-plater who does not want the typical car.

It is a bad time to sell but shit happens.

I'd say sell as is, be resonable on price - and you should have no trobule getting rid of it.

E-bay I use as last resort as they charge a bit for alot of times it's time wasters.

I did buy car off it but selling it's not always been perfect.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yeah go into a uni and post that shit up all over the boards they have!

:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts