Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a 4 channel amplifier for four speakers of 50w nominal.
I also want a subwoofer, the Pioneer TS-WX205 or the TS-WX205a.
The last one has a build in amplifier.
Which amplifier is the best choice for me and which subwoofer is better, the wx-205 or the wx205a?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'll try to field this one...

It is easy to find a 4-channel amplifier that will push 50 watts X 4. You don't need to get anything fancy. The most important feature on it will be a good crossover or at least a high/low frequency pass. Since it will be driving your high and mid range speakers. If it has one of those features you can filter out the low frequencies (bass) that will cause distortion. Let the subwoofers that you are planning on getting handle the low frequencies. You might want to get the sub with the built in amplifier if you think it will be powerful enough for you. Otherwise, may I suggest something like my Kenwood mono subwoofer amplifier for the non-amplified sub. The amp is designed to push bass and really lets you fine tune the signal you send to the subs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sorry, didn't register before but you said speakers were 50 watt nominal. You will want to wire your head unit speaker wires into your amp so make sure it has speaker level inputs. Also you will want to add the power put out by your head unit to the power produced by the amp. So, if head unit makes 25 watts X 4, then you will want an amp that also makes 25 watts X 4. In total you have 50 watts X 4. It is probably OK to run wattage a little greater than 50 watts to the speakers, just don't go crazy and make sure you run them as distortion free as possible if you do it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
that is a fairly simple setup. I think that any four channel amp will be fine like rusty said. If you like you can stick with all pioneer stuff. I think you should ignore amping the rear speakers. they are not that important unless you often have people riding in the back seat. split that 4 channel amp put your fronts and a non powered sub on it and you should be fine. But like Rusty said make sure the amp has a decent cross over system on it. good luck!! })

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is for the quality of the sound better to buy a head unit with a pre-out?
Or doesn't make any difference?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I would suggest a head unit with at least two sets of RCA pre-outs even if you don't have any amplifiers. They will give you the option of easily hooking up one or two amps whenever you're ready. Yes, they will provide a little better connection over "wiring" to the amp. Pre-outs also allow you to pick up shielded RCA cables which can further reduce electrical interferance. I don't know if you have Monster Cable over there but check out this link:

http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio/main/index.html
then surf to products and then to interconnects. You'll need flash 4 to view it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts