Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begining to look for some headers. I can't spend a lot so Hot Shots are out of the question. So between these I list, which do you recamend?

Pacesetters?

SS Autochrome?

OBX?

Any help would be appreciated, and if there are any other headers available andcost less or about the same please let me know. Also I know there are MMI headers, but i heard bad about MMI.

·
Registered
575 Posts
OBX, hot shot, and SS autochrome are very similar. I would get the SS autochrome b/c it's cheaper plus the quality is pretty top notch. I read good stuff about them and checked out their website. Their feed back vie ebay is pretty darn good too. I will get myself a pair. I will use it for turbo pipes and junk te ones I already have (i made them). Reason is it's better flowing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I heard enough negative comments about them. One that I didn't like was that I heard their welds begin to crack and I really dont want that hapening.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MMI Performance headers are a nice bang for their buck. I've been running them for about 3000 miles now, and I've still had no issues with them whatsoever, other than turning colors, which is partly my fault, =). Only issues you have to worry about with the MMI headers are that the EGR pipe doesn't fit right unless you do some creative bending, and the flange on the y-pipe is made for a test pipe, but you can make it fit the cat with a slight bit of cutting. For more information, you can go to http://www.mmiperformance.com, or contact [email protected]

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The bigges thing that stinks about Pacesetters is the very 'odd' sounding exhaust note because of the unequal length collectors. They will though net the most peak HP because of the longer tube primaries that help scavenging in the upper RPMs and pull the exhaust out quicker. There are lots of articles out there on header design and comparisons.

P.S. I have Pacesetters with over 30,000 miles and installed on now 3 different motors. No leaks.

If you care mostly about a good sounding car, the OBX Hot-Shot knock-offs sounded very nice when I installed them on my buddy's Probe. Much nicer than my Pacesetters do.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I have the ssautochrome and am happy with the product. Took a bit of wrestling to get them perfect but that's to be expected with any headers that you look at. I'd say get the ssautochromes off ebay and don't forget to use the ebay coupons that are good through november 30th (search the lounge I forgot them exactly).

metros

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
drakelord said:
MMI Performance headers are a nice bang for their buck. I've been running them for about 3000 miles now, and I've still had no issues with them whatsoever, other than turning colors, which is partly my fault, =). Only issues you have to worry about with the MMI headers are that the EGR pipe doesn't fit right unless you do some creative bending, and the flange on the y-pipe is made for a test pipe, but you can make it fit the cat with a slight bit of cutting. For more information, you can go to http://www.mmiperformance.com, or contact [email protected]
EGR fits now, that's been modified drake ;). Also you can just contact me as I'm a sales rep for MMI...804.200.2923 if you have any questions. It is typical for stainless steel to change colors when it's been heated so no worries there ;). How do you enjoy the sound drake? I love mine...

·
Registered
351 Posts
i got obs/ss autochrome style ( they are all the same) just installed this weekend.
Fitment was about 92.5% good, so not yet prefect.
On the KLZE there is no EGR , so that was not a problem.
gaskets supplied were good enough.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like the get the most HP gains, but I have never heard what the pacesetters sound like and I have heard they sound like shit. Now which header will will have better fitment?

·
Registered
101 Posts
RevZempoe said:
EGR fits now, that's been modified drake ;). Also you can just contact me as I'm a sales rep for MMI...804.200.2923 if you have any questions. It is typical for stainless steel to change colors when it's been heated so no worries there ;). How do you enjoy the sound drake? I love mine...
I love the sound, it's awesome! I can't wait to score an MMI Turbo kit and fuel rail~ :3

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
drakelord said:
I love the sound, it's awesome! I can't wait to score an MMI Turbo kit and fuel rail~ :3
Let me know drake and I'll hook ya up. You're close to MMI and myself anyways. Fuel rails are easy...dan sac has a few pics on probetalk about how it should be done. I'm excited to see the Intake Manifold, which I believe is complete, just no pics of it yet ;).

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
RevZempoe said:
Let me know drake and I'll hook ya up. You're close to MMI and myself anyways. Fuel rails are easy...dan sac has a few pics on probetalk about how it should be done. I'm excited to see the Intake Manifold, which I believe is complete, just no pics of it yet ;).
Sweeeeet Wheres the pics!

metros

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
MX-six said:
How do the Pacesetters fit?
Mine fit up with no problem. When my other friend installed the OBX on his MX6 he ran into some clearence issue with the cooling fans hitting. The Pacesetters didn't get in the way of anything because of the way they go straight under the oil pan.

The ball-joint fits up just fine, but it will eventually work it's way loose. Get rid of the crap and have a local shop weld in a flex-pipe to avoid leaks.

Pacesetter ports are TERRIBLE!!! Here is a picture of the factory Pacestter ports matched to the gaskets. I ported them before installing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts