Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase springs and shocks for my 6.. and am a little confused because of the amount of choices I have.

I have decided to go with regular springs and not coilovers.
I am thinking of getting Ebaich springs which I heard are supperior over the competition. What is the lowering of thses springs? Can I see any pictures of peoples cars with these springs?

Also for the schocks I wasthinking about Tokicos Illuminas wich I thikn are adjustable... are they worth it? for the price? Compared to the KYB which I heard are good and maybe better then Tokicos.

Can you tell me what I should get for the softest and low ride.. thanks for all the help in advance

·
Registered
283 Posts
why did u decide to go with springs not coilovers

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I have just bought a set of Ebiach springs (not on yet) Mine state they lower the car by 30-35mm.

G

·
Invest the money and go with some coil overs. You will apperciate it later if you ever want to and a body kit you your car. The advantage it the coil overs are completely adjustable. As for the shock or struts you can go with the no adjustable, but if you want to spend the money the adjustable will help with ride quality.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically I do not have the cash right now for coil overs.. I konw its not allot more .. but for me right now it is.

I need springs and shocks.. which are best.. ??

EBAICH + Tokico
EBAICH + KYB
Any other choices? that I should take into consideration..??

Tell me which is best.. and what which provide.. I want ot hear from someone that actually has this setup ..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eibach alone????

I put some eibach on my wifes sebring which lowered it 1.4" and also put some KYB struts with them... now they max out when you hit a medium bump. Granted it's a heavy car but they should have make the springs a little stiffer. I thought I had busted something at first. I've contemplated removing the bump stop all together (they tell you to trim them, which I did) but am afraid she'll throw the whole strut out the side the next time she hits a pot hole or something. Go with the coilovers, just because of what I've experienced with the springs alone... plus you can adjust them to your desired settings... the springs... you get what you get.. I can get you some Groundcontrols for $310 (set w/out shocks) if your interested..

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would totally reccomend the Tokico Illumina's and the Ground-Controls. The adjustability of the struts will help with the ride quality so much, and the ability to lower or raise the car with the coil-overs will help out down the road. I just got Tokico's G-C's and Ractive rear and front tower bars for $1,850CND. Where abouts were you shopping for the parts? I found a couple of places that were selling the Tikoco's for $225CDN each (fr, fl, and rear) and the G-C's shouldn't be over $860CDN with tax.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would just purchase them over the web.. it would come out cheaper.. the the stores here in canada .. all these stores are rip offs.. they get the price of the coilovers from the manufacture and plus they get interest.. so why not go straight to the manufacture.. http://www.ground-control.com

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was going to order them over the internet and straight from G-C and it would out to almost the same about 50 bucks more to get them through the store. I had trouble ordering things from Cali are I'm getting a good deal since I bought everything together.

·
Registered
202 Posts
struts/springs

There are a lot of people running eibach with various struts and having no problems. The illuminas are reported to be the best for performance. The KYBs are supposedly closest to stock, or you could go with tokico blues. Eibachs don't drop the car quite as much as they say they do, at least not initially. It will be about 1" lower. I have eibachs waiting to install, and I am going to go with KYB struts, my reason being that I don't autocross or race at all. I just want good handling and the best ride I can get, and from what I have gathered, this is the best combination for near stock ride quality and a little better handling. You really shouldn't have any problems bottoming out with a combination like this. There are quite a few mx6/probe owners doing it with no problems at all. I've heard that coilovers are very stiff and a rough ride, however they would be the best for handling if you race.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There is a Bulk Buy on Springs/Struts on Probetalk now

You'll have to act fast to get in on it but the prices are as follows (and they have the MX6 springs for the same prices):
Eibachs alone- $179
Eibachs/KYBs- $400
Eibachs/tokico blues- $549
Eibachs/tokico illuminas- $715
(plus shipping)

http://206.55.133.140/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000405.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not to add more confusion to the mix, but I just had some H&R's installed today!!! I went kyb's. I love them and right now where I live we have pot holes the size of the grand canyon and the springs handle quiet well. I was under the impression that coilovers are for those who race I am not in to that. I tried it not my thing. The point is you may want to look at the H&R's aswell. JP I do have a question though. Can I not put a body kit on now? I didn't think about that before I bought my springs.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
H&R's, body kit... SURE! Actually you can pretty much go with any kit with any type of springs. The reason I asked was because for instance, if you get Eibach springs, they're not going to lower the car that much. However, If you get a body kit like the shogun kit plus add a bigger diameter wheel/tire combo, the car will still look very low. If you have Eibachs with stock springs, you'll probably still be able to stick your entire torso in the wheel well (exagerating). However, if you get 18" wheels and 235/40 profile tires, the wheel will fill the gap pretty well. Then if you add a kit, the car will look like it's slammed pretty good. In my case, for instance, if I were to lower my GC's all the way down, and if I had a Shogun kit, I would probably be about 1/2" from the ground and scraping all over the place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts