Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what kind of mufflers u guys have. i myself am looking around for a muffler that will give me a deep throaty sound (just the muffler and 2.5 piping) for under 250 bucks. but even if u have an hks or other above priced setup please share your thoughts anyways. thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Greddy on a KL03. Music to the ear.

Looks-wise, I'm not a really big fan of the 5" tip, but the sound is amazing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a NAXOS DTM PIPING SOUND DEEP TONED AND LOUD FULL PIPING

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a thermal research muffler and it cost me like 150 bucks. Its real deep sounding. Sounds very good. The noise is noticible but not annoying sounding, when i drive down the road.

·
Registered
483 Posts
dear friend,

a nice deep throaty sounding exhaust for your car would be a REMUS...it costs a lot...but it one of the best exhausts in the world they even do motorcycle mufflers in titanium and carbon. They have lifetime warranties. Have any questions email me. European exhuast just sounds nice.

good luck,

anthony

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a tsudo dual muffler with 3.5" tips, and man does it sound awesome....... I get noticed everywhere I go!!! It is very impressive..... I had to get a piece of my bumper cut out to fit it in the exhaust slot in the bumper so it would look good though......... it only cost me like $10 and 30 mins of time to do.........and it looks great!!! This is great muffler and cutting out a little piece of the bumper is a lot easier than it sounds.........look in to it!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What size piping is recomend for the V6? 2.5"? I'm used to big V8's with 3+" exhaust and little i4's with 2.25". This engine seems right in the middle. Also, anyone have a straight exhaust (cat but no muffler)? How's it sound on this engine? Keep in mind, I like them loud. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
keep in mind too, u need enough back pressure to force the air out of the exhuast, that is a key point in exhaust, no muffler no way, terrible. u need a v8 to run stright pipe, i mean enough HP to do that, like a mustang, any way, these other guys know more than i do ask them, help guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually, the cat and length of pipe alone provides enough back pressure. So long as you keep the pipe diameter not too large it'll be fine. Even on my little 1.5L 4-banger when I run straight pipe (no cat or muffler) I get better times than with other setups. I keep my exhuast pipe diameter at no more than 2 1/4". The expensive cat-back systems are a waste for racing, they're made for the street. You're paying mostly for the R&D time the company spent making their exhaust as free-flow as possible while still keeping it quiet within legal limits and 50-state emissions legal. Having no emissions tests, inspections, or noise ordinances where I live, I don't worry about it. I've learned through my own testing, not exactly dyno'd or scientific, but the timeslips don't lie (much).
A wide open exhaust helps your top end more than the lower rpm's, and the MX6 has decent low end torque already, so I don't think you'd notice much difference down low, but the higher rpm's should pull harder. Being a higher output engine than what I've been working on lately, I'm thinking the 6 would benefit from a slightly larger diameter piping... but that would be hard to prove without lots of testing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
MAGNAFLOW...

Hey, I've got a Magnaflow Muffler on 2.5" piping. I love it. I had a muffler shop do the whole custom piping with a 3.25" tip for $205 including the muffler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not so deep...

Which exhaust do you guys recommend for someone NOT looking for the loudest, deepest, etc? I'd like one with a nice exhaust "rip"--louder than stock so you can tell it's aftermarket but not obnoxiously loud like some people like. More an exotic sound. Of course, increased power also.

Thanks,

Henry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts