Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into picking up some new struts and springs soon. Which setup would be good for me? This is a daily driver. Im not looking to have the best setup ever but something good. I dont wanna get the ksport tho there to expensive. Also i plan on tossing on some 17s with there struts and springs. I was looking at these...

Tokico ILK
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=mx+6+struts+and+springs&pid=4825516905212645912&oid=5692626108663681908&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en

Tokico HP
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=Tokico+mx+6&pid=1899564701090602778&oid=7413432340408924888&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en

Tokico Performance Kit
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/productsorder-display.cfm?id=3709&reff=froogle&source=froogle

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Don't forget that you'll likely need to buy new strut mounts and bearings, which add over $200 to the cost of the struts and springs.

Then, if your spring seats are rusty, you'll want to replace those as well.

I'm in the same boat, 'cept I'm looking at either the Tokico Illumina strut/spring combo, or the Ksport setup. The thing with the Ksport is they don't use factory mounts (it's integral with the components), but they are only imported by one place in the US, and they're in AZ...and I'm in FL...so if I have a warranty issue.....yeah.

·
Banned
353 Posts
have a few questions:

the difference in price between illiminas w/ eibach springs and k-sports is around $300-$400, so performance-wise what makes the k-sports better? i dont want a copied articles slapped on here talking about 36 way adjustable blah...blahh..just someone who has the k-sports and can speak on their performance.

also, how much do leeda's cost and where can they be bought? and has the tien setup been done for our car? i remember someone saying they were going to make them for the probe/mx-6.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
HATEBREED420 - regarding the cost of the kits in your links, depending on the ones you decide on, i would suggest you check the prices of the Tokico's at one of our site sponsors www.probegarage.com .. Matt has the illuminas at $100 cheaper ! ... he also has the blues at $65 or more, cheaper.
I have just had the illuminas shipped over to the UK from Matt, and i'm very pleased with the service, they are due to be fitted next thursday.
If i remember correctly, the blues are pretty much the same as the illuminas, but non-adjustable, and have an equivelent setting of no.3 on the illuminas (1-5), to which i have since found, most leave set at anyways for daily motoring, so if its just for a daily driver, i'd say go for the blues over the illumina's.

Hope the info helps in any way.

Oddy.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If you want the best, Eibach springs and tolico shocks... There simply isn't anything to compete with the quality of these for our cars. As for warranty.. well, you take a risk on everything you buy.

If you want the cheapest, then you're gonna end up with a car that handles like a bag of wet sand.

The Eibach springs are progressive springs, 99% of all other spring kits use linear springs. When I say progressive are the best, I'm not kidding. Progressive springs get firmer the more you compress them, which gives a new level of handling over the rest. That's why you'll find that most major racing teams use progressive prings, and eibach ones at that. Linear springs simply can't compete with progressive ones... leading to sloppy handling.

It's extremely important to match the springs with the right shock... Tokico blues are the same as tokico illuminas set at level 3... most people don't even adjust the illuminas anyway.

The price at probegarage.com is very good, and one I shall be taking advantage of when I've done the rest of the work.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Another vote for Eibach/Tokicos here... I prefer the whites (Illuminas) since I run mine at 4 or 5 all the time... the blues are like being set to "3" from what I have heard, and that's just a little to soft for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for eceryones input. Im probably gonna get the Eibach Pro Kit and the Tokico Illumina Struts.

I heard that when you install them theres not really a drop and the perchs need to be cut? Or do i not need to cut them since im going with a bigger rim size(17).

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My Illuminas gave me about 1-1.5" drop, as I recall. Just enough to look nice, and handle much better, but still allows me to clear most any bumps and such. Any lower and speed bumps would become a real issue. I am running stock wheels and tires, so your 17s may cause some issues - but I would assume you are running properly sized tires otherwise, so it shouldn't make any difference in the overall diameter of the tire/wheel combo... in which case you should be fine.

I did not cut perches or bumpstops with my install, and have had no issues. I don't believe you need to do either with this setup. In addition, I know that you don't need a caster/camber kit either, so it's a good choice overall for that reason too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've got the eibach pro-kit and KYB setup, The handling is amazing, but on the mx-6 in particular, the ride is horendus. The car is noticably lower, I think 1" in the front, 1.8" in the back. I've got 17" axis reverb rims and the wheel gap is very near eliminated, The wheels have never rubbed the wheel-wells.

But all in all, I vote for the eibachs for sure, You'll be pleased

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Newfie-mx6 said:
I've got the eibach pro-kit and KYB setup, The handling is amazing, but on the mx-6 in particular, the ride is horendus. The car is noticably lower, I think 1" in the front, 1.8" in the back. I've got 17" axis reverb rims and the wheel gap is very near eliminated, The wheels have never rubbed the wheel-wells.

But all in all, I vote for the eibachs for sure, You'll be pleased
Don't blame the Eibachs, blame the POS KYB's you're trying to control them with. Buy a decent strut and you will regain much of your lost ride quality.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
My gf's LS has/had Intrax springs with KYB GR2 struts and I must say it was the crappiest ride I've ever been in for any ride in the community.

She has since swapped in an Eibach/Illuma front suspension combo off a parts car of mine (yes, did it all herself, I got pics to prove it ;)) and the ride change is unbelievable. She'll probably put in the rear in the spring... the front was necessary due to a broken strut mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts