Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up guys,

I need some advice as to what kind of struts to get. I lowered my mx 4 years ago with intrax springs and I cut one coil on both of the back springs. Needless to say, I need to get new struts now. I never got different struts before because I didn't really need them, but since I do now, which ones would you guys recommend. I was considering Tokico's, but they're too expensive. I looked at CorkSport and the KYB struts are only 72 each, which is pretty much the same price that my mechanic was gonna charge me for each of the 4 struts. It was actually around $69 for the front and $78 for the back. I figured that if those are not performance struts, I might as well pay 72 each for the performance struts. Let me know if any of you have some good recommendations on what struts I can opt for. Thanks for your help.

Drex

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check around. If you don't want to spring for adjustable Tokicos or KYBs, look for their high end non-adjustables. You can find them for under $100ea

·
Registered
446 Posts
I guess you DO need to save money seeing as how you need new springs. Don't EVER cut your springs again. Bad drexappeal! BAD!!

G

·
The shop were I go tell me KYB are exellent replacement but not sports strut. I thing its a good quality for the buck if you are not to hard on youre susupension but me I'm going Tokico adjustable strut, more expensive but a lot more sport (KYB 110$CND vs Tokico 280$CND)

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
hey hell, that's a lot of money for shocks...i'd like to know you're opinion when you get them installed because I'm wondering if it's worth the price.

bj

·
Registered
446 Posts
You didn't actually PAY that much for the Tokicos, did you? I know list is like $950 for the set, but I just got mine for less than $500 with shipping.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just ordered KYB's. I didnt want to pay over $100 for new ones. I'll let you know how i like them. I also got GC and strut tower bars. I cant wait!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey I got the Kyb struts. I like them they are a little stiffer then stock but not to stiff. Although I am considering getting adjustible ones, because I want new springs maybe. I got the H&R's and it does not look like I lowered it at all. any suggestions, keep in mind I drive my car everyday.

G

·
The price is in canadian(monkey) money so you look at 170$US but the price will must likely go down a little since the guy most check what he pay for it... The money change and shipping is killing us here. When I see a price in US a must a less double it the be close to the canadian reality. But still I'm going to check that out since I'm way over what you guys pay for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BOWDWN2MX6 said:
You didn't actually PAY that much for the Tokicos, did you? I know list is like $950 for the set, but I just got mine for less than $500 with shipping.
i was curious where do u live and how much are the struts each seeing as u paid less than 500 for the complete set. ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm in Portland, OR (says so right under my screen name)

I ordered them off the net and they shipped from Penn. Took a week to get here. Installed them in a few hours (hardest part was getting the GCs off the stock struts.

G

·
I have KYBs and used to have Intrax and they were a fairly good combination. With my GCs they're a little underdamped but not a big problem. I'd say they're a good deal if you want cheap struts.

The Intrax rear springs have 3 coils that are compacted all the time. Cutting off one of these to equalize the front and rear ride height has absolutely no effect on anything except the ride height. Drex was right in doing that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the back up Will

I was wondering what people were talkin about cuz according to the performance shop, cutting 1 coil in the back would not affect the ride and would even out the springs. They said the same thing you said. Good looking out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
STRUTS

yo man,

go to probetalk.com under Bulk Buys,
this guy Chris is doing a bulk buy on the Tokico Illuminas, the 5 way adjustable ones for a total of $410.10, that includes the strut boots. i just oredered mine today, and i think it is one of the best deals i have seen yet. If you want good struts, don't miss these out.

Lates,

Will (ToyMX6)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts