Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 93, MX6 2.5 V6 for almost 6 years, done 42K miles [67.2K km] and I am now looking to tune it up a bit. It has an after market chip and a after market exhaust. I have saved £3.5K [UK] [$5K. US]for the job.

What would I be best off investing in. It has the brakes and suspension already sorted. My thinking was along a big valve head conversion with a suitable camshaft and a remapped chip for the fuel etc.

SNIP>> from a local but professional engine tuning company in my area.."Your budget would appear to be sufficient though. In fact if a big valve head looks feasible with properly flow bench designed big valves then you could be looking at a serious power gain. Your project is not dissimilar to the V6, 5 valve per cylinder, quad cam 30 valve Audi engine I did last year for a factory sponsored team. Special cam profiles and big valves in
flow bench developed cylinder heads .Power while still on the std cams was up from 190 to 255, the computer predicted target was 285 bhp in rally tune.""

Anyone who can offer any insights or experiences, then I would appreciate your input.

Replies to the forum or email me- [email protected]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Which aftermarket chip have you installed and what kind of gains do you feel you got from it?
GirlRacer

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you got 5K, you could SC or TC your car, but that is only if you don't mind forced induction. It kind of sounds like you want a NA engine, but for 5K you could have a forced induction monster and still have some money left over. Thats what I would do with 5K, but thats just me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a chip by an UK company called Super Chip. It was fitted by a company called Van Aaken Performance.

Personally I don't think it has made much obvious difference though others have said that they feel that the car is faster than their MX6.

Before fitting, the car, even in its automatic form was good for 143mph flat out. This has not improved, though if I am honest the fuel consumption does appear to be better and I think that the gear changes appear to be slightly diffrent in as much as the car revs higher and for longer before it changes up.

The most MAJOR difference has been a set of 17" wheels and a set of decent lowered springs, the transformation is scary.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although £3500 / $5000 sounds like a lot, in the UK this doesn't go very far on SC or TC. I would love to SC the car as this would give me the kind of performance that I have had in previous modified cars, but the best quotes that I have had so far go beyond my current budget and do believe that a well sorted induction system might just be the best options cost wise that is left open to me in the UK, but I am open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I am strugling to get anyone in the UK that supplies an induction kit for our cars so if you get one let me know.

Cheers

Dave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts