Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some white gauges they look great thanks to RmTaylor but when i removed the needle from the temp gauge and put it back on the needle no longer returns to the cold side and basically sits still and i did have the power disconnected when i did it so no post about frying the motor because i did disconnect the battery like instructed by the owners manual. I need your help please post asap

·
Registered
20 Posts
happens every time

everytime i have taken mine apart i end up with the same problem because i mess up the assembly of the needle there is a blue plastic that connects the needle to the spring that controles it. you probably knocked it aloose and it is a bitch to get back together. all i can say is look behind the actual gauge face and pray for steady hands. sorry dude

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I get back from my vacation i will tear the damn cluster apart and fix it thanks for the help

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah count me in for that problem too. I believe my situation is the post that the needle sits on broke inside the guage too far to reach down. I think people should only do the big faces for the guages instead of screwing their most important guages up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had the same problem with the little blue bit when I was installing my white guages. After changing my guages 4 times, I found that all you had to do was take teh brass metal bit off (it should just come off if you pull at it) then attach the blue bit to your needle then attach the metal bit then align the pointed end of the blue bit with your needle. After that, just stick it back into the cluster. No more fildding around under the guage to get the needle through the blue bit.

I have also cleaned the original markings on the guages so it is now transparent. I got some blue 194 globes and now all the guages shine up with a cool blue straight through it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys,

can someone tell me where i can get the indiglo gauges from cause they dont sell it for mazdas i dont think. i was looking at a kit from a nissan and the gauge pattern looks the same. someone get back to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok, here's the thing that might be wrong. when i made my guages ($3) I put them in, blah blah blah. I put the key in, needle didn't move. I figured out what was wrong with mine, that might be your problem. The hole for the needle to rest on, the little pole, it not big enough. you need to make it bigger so the needle can move freely. another thing is.. if you don't put that little peg thingy back in (where the needle rests when the cars off) the needle goes all the way down to the bottom of the cluster. and it looks like tha Speed-o and Tach needles. nice contrast I think. later

Rhyne

·
Registered
22 Posts
My temp and gas gauges work great.
I recorded where the needles fell while in an upright position.
Once I recorded this, it didn't take much effort to pull the needles straight out.
I removed the faces and placed the new faces over top.
Put the needle through the center, and through the brass plate.
I turned it over and placed the lt. blue plastic pointer into the shaft of the needle with the point lining up with the point of the needle. (don't push it on too tight or the needle will not move freely)
Next, I placed the face with needle over top of where it mounts. There is a small piece of spring wire that needs to go inside the lt. blue pointer. Make sure this is in and that the shaft of the needle is seated and the screw it down.
Now, stand up the unit as it would be mounted in the dash and check where your needles fall. Now, gently move the needles in increments until they fall back to the recorded points.

Not too hard. Now I will go finish detailing my engine compartment...

·
Registered
280 Posts
well with me....

wwll with me... i went to take the cluster apart...i took the cable that connects the speedo. well....i puged it back in and the speedo doesnt work....DAMN IT!

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's three connections in the engine bay along that line to the tranny. Check those too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you remove the speedo cable from the tranny? There is one torque bolt that holds it it. If you did take it out, it can fool you when going to put it back in. It seems to slide right in but most of the time, you have to wiggle it and turn back and forth and it will slide in another 1/4 inch or so. Just make sure to feel the mounting plate and make sure there is no gap between it and the tranny before tightening it down.

If you didn't remove the cable from the tranny, you may want to remove it and manually turn it while haven't someone watch the speedo. If you don't get any movement, then the cable isn't plugged all the way into the gauge or the cable is broke which is doubtful unless there were problems prior.

Lastly, you may have jammed it up while pushing the needle back in. In this case, you may need to get a new gauge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are close... Go to the White Guages Edited And Installed thread and there is a link to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts