Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here's what I did. I took the guages file that was going around and edited to my liking. I printed it out on my Lexmark Z51 printer on Canon High Resolution paper, and sprayed three coats of artist fixative on top. Unfortunately I pulled too hard on the Temp needle and broke it inside the mechanism so I'll be looking for a new Temp guage soon. Here is the final deal. That was the file from the previous posts about white guages, with an Arial Black font in italics for those DIY'ers. I can't take credit for the original. But here is my version in JPG format.
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze27xqx/Machines/gaugesGT.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
ahh man!! you are a god, me definetly like :eek:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My camera is figity about taking pictures with low light but I will try. The numbers are offset just a tad at the top, and the Temp guage is a little different for the two sets of production years I think. They are more readable than the ones on Ebay since the numbers are actually filled in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well do a search on the subject here. I've posted the directions before. And you take a big risk of breaking your temp guage. Its happened to one other person.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The size is already preset, which is the wway JPGs work. The light shines through an optical trail that comes from behind the faces to the front of the faces on top of the cluster.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've changed domains recently and don't have any room left to hold the file because of my website so you all will have to go to Panik's site.

G

·
im trying to install the gauge faces and i cant get the instrument cluster out of the dash any help would be apreciated.:cool:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Disconnect the speedometer cable from the engine compartment. Do a search about it here, I've posted directions before.

G

·
ok ok i know i'm new

OK I know this topic has been beaten to hell on the boards, but I'm trying to get into the guage cluster and I'm just not really sure where to start. I've looked in chilton's book, but it basically had instructions to take the whole front end of the car apart. I'm pretty new to all of this, so I was just wondering what the main screws were. I've located the ones in front of the glass, and the hidden one to the right of the air vents, but I'm just not sure where else to look. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DgP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Speedo and Tach Needles

I am having a problem getting the speedo and tach needles off. The temp and fuel gauges just pulled off but these don't seem to. Otherwise, my gauges look SWEET with the white face and my last name printed on them.

I edited the template in Photoshop, placed some text into it that I created in Illustrator. I sharpened and brightened the image a bit and whitened the white background more. I then cut out matching pieces of acetate to place over the gauge faces for two reasons: 1. To protect the paper from UV so they don't curl and yellow. 2. To produce a glossy, glass-like look to them.

Now I just need to figure out how to get those damn needles off.

Please help!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Use a fork for the big needles. Pry up slowly and straight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks rmtaylor!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let us know if your temp and gas guages still work after you reinstall everything. If they do work, post your detailed steps please because a lot of us broke the temp guage in one way or another.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts