Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok took the car to the dealership (GASP) for a compression and leakdown test. Yes, i know, and I'm not gonna have them do any repairs, but 100 bucks for both tests was acceptable considering I can walk to the dealership. Anyway it passed the compression test with approx. 155 +- 5 on all cylinders. The leakdown test is going on as we speak, but the mech. there says the water pump is leaking, and that's probably what is producing the smoke. The leakdown will make sure the head-gasket is fine. Now, do I want to attempt the water pump myself, or do I just take it to a shop and tell them to change the timing belt and water pump and be done with it. I really don't wanna take my engine apart so soon after replacing the valve cover gaskets and installing phenolics (just a few days ago).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok now after the leakdown test, there is a 100% leakdown on cylinder #1. The mechanic doesn't know what's going on because the engine is running really smooth, and it passed the compression test. Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok now after a third leakdown test there is no leak. There is no oil in coolant lines, and now they can't get any antifreeze in the exhaust. So it looks like it's not a head-gasket after all. The water-pump is leaking, but I was going to have that done in 5000 miles anyway along with the timing belt. So it's not quite as bad as I thought. Additionally, the dude there says my brand-new spark plugs are totally black, which means I'm probably running rich, which might be because of the vacuum leak that I'm sure I hear when the car is running. ALWAYS LABEL ALL YOUR VACUUM LINES WHEN TAKING OFF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!!!! Anyway pictures of the valve cover shizat should be up in about a week. If anybody has any input, feel free to reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts