Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a radiator flush and fill. I did'nt put enough coolant back in, it got a little hot, turned the car off, fixed the coolant issue. Now, I have a cloud of white smoke coming out from my tailpipe. It's mainly under acceleration, and there is'nt a lot, just enought to notice. I noticed it 3 days ago, checked my coolant level, and it's fine. So, I thought maybe, i'm burning oil, the oil level is fine also. What else could cause this white cloud of smoke? Is it ok to drive like this? Also, it seems like my cooling fan is kicking on when the gauge is reading hotter than it used to. Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?
Also I think my t-stat is acting up. Is it possible for the t-stat to react late allowing the car to get hotter than usual, yet still open? This is weird to me, I am running constantly hotter that I did 1 week ago. No water or oil usage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'm no expert at this but if the headers are exposed your engine bay will get warmer than usual. so make sure to have a heat shield on it. my engine was acting up until i finally put my heat shield back on the header(exhaust manifold).

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
a little hot

Some things to look at :
Make sure that the coolant ratio is correct.
Air trapped within the cooling system can cause problems.
Check your t-stat and sensors for proper operation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
White smoke from exhaust is usually a bad head gasket. If you overheated the head it most likely warped and now leaks. You could do a compression check to verify. Aluminum heads do not like to be overheated. They expand too much for the gasket to handle and break loose causing leaks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
white smoke equals bad head gasket? hmm, i had white smoke before but it turned blue recently so i'm good for now.

hey, i think it's just the cold weather that is making it seem like more smoke is coming out then usual.

·
Registered
341 Posts
WHITE SMOKE

Do a leak down test, put the cyl to top compression, fill with air,if there is bubbles in the rad of over flow tank, you have a head gasket blown. If its warped get it machine. if you only rpl the gasket, send it anyway to machine shop just in case. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts