Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wondering if anyone else has had this problem....
I start up my car after letting it sit for a day or two, and get a moderate amount of white smoke out of the exhaust. This continues till the enginer begins to get warm. I can also hear a clicking noise coming from the engine which is the hla's.. If anyone has any advice or could tell me what they think is wrong i would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
236 Posts
HLA clickity clack

The owner manual says its normal to hear clicking from the HLA's for a few seconds after you start it.. (Mine clack for about 10-15 seconds)

but as for white smoke.. thats scary.. Bad rings maybe??

Good luck

Chris
93 MX-6
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/astrowarez/mx6.html

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The ticking is indeed normal if only for a few seconds.

In cooler weather, all cars have some white smoke from combustion. Water / water vapor are two of the products of the catalyst. This usually goes away after the car is warmed up though.

However, if you notice white smoke after the car is warmed up, it's bad...bad head gasket, or cracked cylinder head or block.

As far as rings (per the other reply), bad rings make your car burn oil, which is evidenced by blue smoke.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

·
Registered
294 Posts
So what if I'm still getting white vapor out of the exhaust after i've driven for a while? I dont think its smoke, doesnt smell and isn't thick. This is in cooler weather only. When its warm out, it doesnt happen....

Thanks

:eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
MexySexy said:
So what if I'm still getting white vapor out of the exhaust after i've driven for a while? I dont think its smoke, doesnt smell and isn't thick. This is in cooler weather only. When its warm out, it doesnt happen....
Then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just make sure you aren't loosing massive amounts of oil, to be on the safe side. But if it is only in cooler weather, it is probably only water vapor.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I only do relativly short journeys in mine during the week 3 miles each way.
And I have white smoke for most of the journey 10 mins plus. No problem when it has warmed up.
I dont think I ever fully dry out the exhaust in the morning or evening by the time I get to work or get home so there is always condensation to burn off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Its condesation in your exhaust. No big deal. You might actually see a little water poor out every now and then. Take it on the highway for 10min on a dry day see if it does it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts