Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was stopped by two guys yesterday try to sell me some "hot" hi-fi speakers out of a van. 4wsboy, mentioned that this was a bit of a craze some time back in Sydney. I was talking to a prospective customer this morning and he told the same story!!

Has anyone else come across this phenomenon???

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nope, did they actually tell you that they were hot. As long as they dont tell you, i am in need of a capactor or replacing my subs with better ones!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES! They actually did!

They say... "we just finished a job and the warehouse packed an extra couple of sets and we just want to get rid of them.. [wink wink], they retail for over $3000 but we'd take $1000"

(like I carry $1000 around in cash :rolleyes: ).

Was a bit of a hard sell too, and when I got back in the car the gy came back and was getting desparate saying things like "make me an offer, any offer a ridiculous offer".

That's when I drove off.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
might have been undercover cops....... if you bought it they'll charge you with posetion of stollen goods or something

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
you never know, my mate was pulled over by a tradsman, in flanelet, in Rodeo ute with Boarder Kolly barcking away in the back.......speeding fine 3 dirmit points

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you BF - but trust me on this one.

BTW - have YOU ever seen an undercover with track marks?? j/k

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyna-something.... maybe Dynalab.

Looked pretty good from the outside - 2 x 6" drivers plus silk tweeter in largish box. Bass reflex design with port at bottom front.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did a search on www.google.com for "Dynalab Speakers"

The first link was: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/Speaker/product_7192.shtml

It's a set of consumer reviews on an audio site, here's a sample:

Strengths: None
Weaknesses: The horrible sound they produce.
Similar Products Used: Tin can and string
Price Paid: $150
Purchased At: White Van

DO NOT BUY DYNALAB OR OMNI AUDIO.
THE SPEAKERS ARE COMPLETE JUNK.

Same story, two guys and a white van full of possibly the worst speakers ever produced. The speakers are certainly worth less than the low-grade wooden boxes they're mounted in. Anything over $10.00 would be too much for these.

I was able to get a full refund, which is really because of the law, not company policy. I'm not sure of the specifics but as I recall when people use such deceitful sales tactics that, by law, the buyer is entitled to a full refund if the goods are returned within a few days. This is the only reason I believe this company would ever return any money to anyone.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably not.
The rest of the reviews are pretty much the same, except the ones that appear to be fabricated by employees of Dynalab

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think there is anything particularly hot about the gear, its just a supposed "novel" sales technique and also too high profile both on the streets and in the S.M Herald as previously mentioned to be "criminal".

I think they do EFTPOS too!!

A couple of times the guys have been Yanks, I think they take advantage of working holdaymakers.

A mate of mine (in Melbourne) bought them about 6 years ago for $150 p.p and he reckoned they were OK. Back then they were about 3" 6" tall!!

4WSB

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you ever need cheap goods like that just visit down the Western Suburbs of St Albans, Sunshine, Deer Park. we constantly have good deals going, and you never know you just may come across something that once belonged to you ;)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
It's a scam!!! . And the speakers "are sh!t"
Keep your money in your pocket, and go and buy some Jamo speakers!
PK})

·
Registered
672 Posts
What a coincidence, last night sitting around with friends and having a few drinks, this scam popped up in our conversation.

Would you believe its a big scam at that its growing at a rapid pace throughout Australia.

From what we gathered its like those Piramid Scheme type scams, the guy at the top is making big bucks and the guys down the bottem is making his share too.

Its not illegal practice because your just reselling goods.

You guys are right the speakers are a piece of SH!T, their looks are better than their performance (from what ive heard).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts