Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
New ride, what I have so far

My new platform (KL V6 derived turbo/IC Mazda 323 hatchback) is relatively new/just done so there are bugs and I'm still dialing it in.

At www.cayugadragway.ca on August 12/2001, with a stuck rear caliper, and major boost leaks (boosting 6 PSI max):

60': 1.979
330: 5.623
1/8: 8.679
mph: 80.68
1000: 11.317
1/4: 13.541
MPH: 101.15

This was bouncing the rev limiter in 4th.

I am going to test and tune on Friday at St Thomas (www.stthomasdragway.com) or Cayuga on Friday and then at the import drags at St Thomas on Sunday the 26th.

The brake is fixed :)
I got some 1" offset light wheels so I can use my 225-50-15 Toyo RA-1 R compound sticky street legal tires -- they're taller (no rev limit bounce!) and wider than the tires I used on the 12th.

I still have some weird boost issues, but we welded 5 (!) boost leaks last night.

We'll see what happens.

She only wants to boost to like the following PSI in each gear before she redlines:
1st: 2 PSI
2nd: 5 PSI
3rd: 6 PSI
4th: 8 PSI
5th: 9 PSI

Boost in 4th and 8th go to 6 PSI quickly, but then take a while to build. I retightened all the band clamps and checked for leaks, replacing the BOV hose (it had a slight crack in it).

Still no dice. WTF?! I want 9-11 PSI consistently. I have a manual bleed followed by a ball and spring check valve afterwords and she still won't boost enough.

Boost leak? Turbo issue? Wastegate problem? Agh.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Allan, what do you have for an exhaust from the turbo back? It sounds like you've got a backpressure problem (clogged cat, crushed or bent piping, collapsed muffler etc.)

G

·
Mike 94PGT said:
Allan, what do you have for an exhaust from the turbo back? It sounds like you've got a backpressure problem (clogged cat, crushed or bent piping, collapsed muffler etc.)
I have 2.5" piping, mandrel bent.

I also have an exhaust cutout (bypass cat and muffler) for track use.

The cat is good, VERY high flow. The muffler is straight through (no baffles/chambers).

I don't think it's a backpressure issue. I'll try and re verify/try some passes with the cutout off though.

You doing some passes/coming to St Thomas on the 26th? A whack of KL powered 323s (my turbo, Mario's nitrous, and a NA car) will be racing, maybe that Protege KL/LSD car in Cambridge too.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
obnox said:

I don't think it's a backpressure issue. I'll try and re verify/try some passes with the cutout off though.
I assume the turbo itself turns completely freely? The wastegate is closing completely and the linkage is free and not binding?

You doing some passes/coming to St Thomas on the 26th? A whack of KL powered 323s (my turbo, Mario's nitrous, and a NA car) will be racing, maybe that Protege KL/LSD car in Cambridge too.
As much as I'd like to see those in action, I won't make it to that. House painting :E and other chores need doing before fall. Besides, I've got a 100,000-mile clutch in it. Funny how I've never seen any of these kick-ass cars in the KW area and they're all around me :D

Hey Allan, you got an extra EGR vacuum solenoid valve lying around after all your swapping and whatnot? One that works and has both vacuum nipples on it? I busted mine back in June putting my ported manifold on and have been staring at a CEL since. If you do, drop me a line and I'll try to buy it from you.

G

·
EGR solenoid, KW

Turbo/wastegate/linkage seme fine. I'm doing some playing around tonight to see if I can get a consistent boost level for Sunday's drag races.

Agh! Man! Come on. Geez. St Thomas for like 3 hours and then back. No problem, man.

Only two of A-Spec's KL powered cars that I know of are in the KW area and both are in Cambridge. My turbo 323 V6 hatch and Eugene's black protege (KL engine, J-spec LSD, mid-high 14s all engine).

We sometimes go to see what slow cars are at the Coffee Time at the Delta, in Cambridge (down Hwy 24/Hespler road). There's a 4.6L Mustang on nitrous that ran a (get this) 14.3 on spray. He doesn't want a piece of Eugene's car after he gave him a ride in the Protege. :D There aren't a lot of really fast cars in Cambridge -- two street trim 13 second RX7 3rd gens, a supposedly fast CRX, and a whack of old geezer V8s that never associate with the young'uns.

Feel free to drop by the house or the kiddie hang out :)
EGR vaccuum solenoid valve? Umm ummm, sure. I'll have a looka round. Dumb question: what the heck does it look like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts