Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Eric (mazdamiester) knows of a few people who have broken PG bolts and trashed their trannies with them. Id consider one if it werent for that. Hell, I may still do it but I might just go with a MSP LSD instead ;)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I have one. Seem to work ok. It's really no replacement for a true LSD but it's better than nothing I suppose. I havent put many miles on it (maybe 2000) so I cant comment about reliability. But it did however, help prevent me from getting stuck in mud once. :)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
anarchyx34 said:
... But it did however, help prevent me from getting stuck in mud once. :)
That was good for a laugh ;)

I wont ask how it came about, but props to the phantom grip for that! lol

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
That was good for a laugh ;)

I wont ask how it came about, but props to the phantom grip for that! lol
Well the story was quite simple. I happened upon a sudden traffic jam on one of the highways around here. I wanted to turn around in the median which was half mud and half pavement. So I went for it, and felt the right side of the car start to sink in and progress slowed. I thought I was screwed, and then with a jolt, he PG kicked in and pulled my ass right out. I forgot completely that I had it. Now of course that was a low torque, low speed situation but it did have the desired effect.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
HAD one. Put a few thousand miles on it. Tranny shifter got all stiff/notchy, sometimes got stuck in hear. Only reason why the gears were sticky/notchy was because of metal shavings galore stuck behind the shifter shaft (is that the name??) It leads to the shiftgate.

Not sure if it was the PG that caused this. Although I dont see what else could have. The PG could have been installed wrong??

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Im on my 5th I think. *Checks sig.* WOW, need to update. Hahaha

That was the 4th tranny that took half a year to rebuild because "They couldnt find parts." Although, the day I called their district manager they happen to find all the parts within 2 days. Weird.... :freak:

I had them install the PG while it was all pulled apart. Last a few months, trans got all stiff. Changed the fluid frequently and noticed nothing but shavings everytime.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Those spider gears are trashed man. I wonder if they were like that when they put the PG in. In not, then it obviously want locking for you.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Well that kind of damage would only happen under heavy load when the PG was supposed to be locked. Looks like it didnt do its job.

Did you notice 1 tire fire ever?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
rebel : have a read of the thread where ray reported that happening, i think the conclusion was that the pg forces the spiders apart making them misalign, and thus misengage, and thus chip like that.

fred.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read a few times that the PG spins both on the street, but not at the track with slicks, But I am not sure. Maybe that is with the gold springs. I would probably get the green ones.

·
Registered
608 Posts
shwine617 said:
I read a few times that the PG spins both on the street, but not at the track with slicks, But I am not sure. Maybe that is with the gold springs. I would probably get the green ones.
With the PG they recommend using the green springs in our cars,I used it for a few months, but it destroyed 1 trans,so I welded the pin to the case and it lasted a little while longer ,but it still grenaded the trans,actually broke the diff. housing.I got tired of tracking down trannys so I went ahead and bought the GURU.I'll be putting it in,in a few weeks.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I really wanna get to the bottom of this whole grenading the tranny thing. I've never heard anything bad from other PG owners with different cars, but everyone here has had a problem with theirs seems like.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Well that kind of damage would only happen under heavy load when the PG was supposed to be locked. Looks like it didnt do its job.
That damage was probably caused by a ball or other small part floating around in the trans getting eaten up.
Mazdacarnage has a PG and it works well. No torque steer.
I built a few, but i don't think i have the exact dimensions, so it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts