Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just checking to see if there is a current market for them and i am also curious as to what they are worth.

I may be able to buy some and i am just after some figures to see if it is worth our while.

So what is a fair market price for a FE DOHC ?

A show of hands if you are interested ?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had I not have just sold my MX6 (and was keeping it) then I would most DEFINATELY have put my name down for one.

I'd be happy to pay about $800-$1000 for a low k one.

/me droolz about FE3 in MX6.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
im not too familiar with the numbers of the engines.
Wats the FE3?

is that the 2.2L 4-cyl turbo or the 6-cyl engine or is ther another engine for our cars?

·
Registered
478 Posts
DarkSlayer said:
im not too familiar with the numbers of the engines.
Wats the FE3?

is that the 2.2L 4-cyl turbo or the 6-cyl engine or is ther another engine for our cars?
See the FAQ....

A run down.
F2 - 2.2L SOHC 12v 4 cylinder non-turbo
F2t - 2.2L SOHC 12v 4 cylinder turbo
FE - 2.0L SOHC 8 valve 4 cylinder non-turbo
FE3 - 2.0L DOHC 16v 4 cylinder non-turbo
KL03 - 2.5L QOHC 24v 6 cylinder non-turbo

The FE3 was that J-spec, high revving, high potential engine.

In NA form they produce as much power as the F2t.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dark.

Its a 2.0 litre 16 valve Twin Cam EFI 4 cylinder

Sold under the mazda/ford badge in Japan and Europe.

Min HP rating for them is 140 hp.

Its a EFI DOHC version that followed on from the old FE carbie that was sold here in the 83- 87 626/telstar range.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Basically if you want serious power out of your first gen 6 you'll have to convert over to the FE3, there's only so far a F2t will go.... Full potential of the FE3 however is yet to be realised.

Great engine and damn do they rev!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
any way of getting me a loom from one of those and an ECU??
(if in fact they have the two connector harness)
still trying to figure out this 170HP story.

btw what happened with your MSN account?? havent spoken to u in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Im not going to commit to anything, but I could be depending on how much work I get this christmas.

The f2t is starting to go down hill, still hauls arse but its getting past its use by date. Its using oil, the turbo sounds like a truck spooling. I think also the problem is that it got rebuilt before I bought it, but never run in, so the rings never bedded properly.

The only problem is management, which is probably going to be like another 2k on top of the engine itself :( Then the need for turbo, manifolds etc, probabaly works out a little too costly!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah its not the fitting that is the problem, I have plenty of electrician friends which is handy who also have a bit of experience with installing aftermarket management.

The big thing though is getting it tuned, i dont how good an idea on the road tuning is, so its going to be some dyno time there.

How do you find yours on fuel now with the microtech? Also things like cold start and a/c?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Dyno tuning is about $150 per hr... a good shop will have it done in about 4-6hrs...

So whats that, $1000 at the most. But the way I look at it, if you do it properly and mostly yourself you can have a 350hp ATW engine in and running for about $7k....

Compare that to the price you bought the car for, say $7k and you have a 350hp sports car, that would spank any other car on the road for less than $15k!

I like that info!

Tripharn

·
Registered
251 Posts
most those things depend on the state of tune.. i dont recommend road tuning.

It also depends who tunes it.. some tuners take 15 minutes and others take 2 hours. The quick tune will be bad on fuel and likely to ping and blow-up but the people who know what to do will make it great. Chiptorque on the goldcoast did mine and it was going so much quicker than when Rigoli's tuned it.. it was way more fuel efficent and well behaved.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
How is it on fuel and acting compared to stock though. Obviously it is going to use more, thats expected, but things like 150-200km on a tank a fuel isnt what you would like for a daily driver.

Triparn - Thats what I meant by the 2k figure for the aftermarket ecu. Its the tuning which is a large portion.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hey Tim,

With most chips it will depend on how you drive. If you have the boost at 15psi rather than 6psi then you will need more fuel... but only if you are constantly boosting... like me :) At idle etc there would be minimal difference.

But I would think that if you got a chip tuned properly, and ran the same setup as before you should use less fuel, since the tuning would be more 'accurate'... especially with the higher resolution of ECU's out today compared to 15years ago.

Tripharn

·
Registered
251 Posts
i get 450 to a tank.. have got 550km b4

so pretty good.. like i said all comes down to how good a tune it gets..

1000 for tuning is insane.. at chiptorque i've seen atleast 10 cars tuned with microtechs for under 300.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah i realise it will go through the fuel if you drive it hard on high boost thats expected.

I just have heard some horror stories about some ecu's thats all. Seems like some where unfounded I reckon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts