Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning to get our MSPNP development going again, and we're contemplating building new MSPNPs for the Probe and MX-6. But before we start spending anything on R&D, we wanted to make sure there's a market for this. So, here's what we could make you guys, and what we'd be able to sell it for.

The next generation MSPNPs will be based on the MS2 processor - enough power to get a good feature set, the codebase is pretty mature so we won't miss out on many new features if we start designing things now, and it'll allow us to get this built at a low price so we don't end up pricing the thing into AEM territory. It's going to have a feature set that is similar to the current MSPNP and DIYPNP, although don't be surprised if there's a few new features you haven't seen in existing DIYAutoTune.com products. It will plug into your existing wiring and give you full control and real time tuning for your fuel and timing maps. Some other things that will be on it:

Closed loop boost control
Two step rev limiter
The ability to remove your air flow meter to reduce intake restriction
4 bar MAP sensor (good for 44 psi of boost!) plus real time baro correction
The ability to upgrade to a distributorless ignition
CANBus connections for future upgrades, such as logging multiple EGT inputs

Like our current MSPNPs for the Miata, this one will come with top notch base maps on CD we've developed on our in-house dyno, an in depth manual for how to install it and tune it, and will have our full tech support department behind it. They'll be put through in depth testing under load. And like all our standard catalog items, we'll have them in stock as much as possible for our "super speedy ninja fast shipping."

These will be priced somewhere around $800. This is about $100 more than the initial price of our first MS1 based MSPNP, but we're hoping this will be considerably more than $100 more ECU than our original design, too.

We're eyeing the '93-'95 KLZE / KLDE (and V6 MX3) in particular, but models for F2Ts would also be possible, and if you have any other requests, feel free to toss them out.

So, who'd buy one if they were on sale now, at that price? Which model would you be interested in?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
If you have OBDII you'd be shit outta luck, amiright?

I'd love to MS my 97, but I'm locked down with OBD2 emission requirements :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
would most definitely purchase around january haha, would even be willing to put some cash down now to show faith... 1 1gb MS please lol

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have OBDII you'd be [shizzle] outta luck, amiright?

I'd love to MS my 97, but I'm locked down with OBD2 emission requirements :(
There's a company out there that makes adapter harnesses that can run an OBD1 ECU in an OBD2 car; they should work with the MSPNP. (We might check if we can stock them ourselves if there's enough demand.)

The good thing about plug and play ECUs - you can put one at the track, then swap it out in a matter of minutes for the stocker when you need to be street legal. We can't help you pass emissions on something not emissions compliant, but we can help you put the car back to stock and make it street legal.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'm interested, but i stand by what i said on GRM. I'm way more interested in a KLZE PNP.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested, but i stand by what i said on GRM. I'm way more interested in a KLZE PNP.
This will work for the applications you listed as well if you're using a KL wiring harness - the KLZE and KLDE ECUs pinouts are close enough; it's just the tune would be slightly different.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Oh sorry Matt, for some reason i thought this was in the 1G section. Carry on! :D

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
There's a company out there that makes adapter harnesses that can run an OBD1 ECU in an OBD2 car; they should work with the MSPNP. (We might check if we can stock them ourselves if there's enough demand.)

The good thing about plug and play ECUs - you can put one at the track, then swap it out in a matter of minutes for the stocker when you need to be street legal. We can't help you pass emissions on something not emissions compliant, but we can help you put the car back to stock and make it street legal.
Heh...this would be for DD use :lol:

So at least I wouldn't have to swap ECU's often. Just once every two years, or when I sell the damn thing.

But a PNP for the 96/97's with OBD2 would be da bom

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh sorry Matt, for some reason i thought this was in the 1G section. Carry on! :D
No problem. I had made some mention of 1Gs as well.

It seems the guy who made the adapter for the '96-'97s has gotten hard to find. As it would be a pretty big investment to buy the connectors, we'd probably have to base a decision for '96-'97 models on how well things do with a '93-'95 MSPNP.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
No problem. I had made some mention of 1Gs as well.

It seems the guy who made the adapter for the '96-'97s has gotten hard to find. As it would be a pretty big investment to buy the connectors, we'd probably have to base a decision for '96-'97 models on how well things do with a '93-'95 MSPNP.
It'd just be a jumper harness, right? Like the OBDII to OBDI honda jumper harnesses?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be further interested in some info if I find out what MSPNP means. Sorry I just have never heard of it.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It'd just be a jumper harness, right? Like the OBDII to OBDI honda jumper harnesses?
The existing product is a jumper harness. The biggest expense for us if we did an OBD2 adapter would probably be the connectors as we often have to buy those in large quantities, so it would make as much sense for us to do a new board spin and offer a distinct '96-'97 model as it would be to offer a jumper harness.

I would be further interested in some info if I find out what MSPNP means. Sorry I just have never heard of it.
MegaSquirt plug and play - they're a tunable ECU that plugs directly into the stock wiring with no wire cutting or splicing required. We currently make them for the MX5, just one MX away. :)

I probably started these posts with a little too much technical mumbo jumbo - short version is, it would replace your stock ECU and let you tune your fuel and timing in real time.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
One should be able to grab the connectors from a junkyard, yes?

I might have another source for them, too. Give me a few days, i'll try to get ahold of him.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The existing product is a jumper harness. The biggest expense for us if we did an OBD2 adapter would probably be the connectors as we often have to buy those in large quantities, so it would make as much sense for us to do a new board spin and offer a distinct '96-'97 model as it would be to offer a jumper harness.

MegaSquirt plug and play - they're a tunable ECU that plugs directly into the stock wiring with no wire cutting or splicing required. We currently make them for the MX5, just one MX away. :)

I probably started these posts with a little too much technical mumbo jumbo - short version is, it would replace your stock ECU and let you tune your fuel and timing in real time.
Awesome, I'm interested though I would assume this is more suited for FI cars but because mine is NA. Why would one need to change the air-fuel mixture?

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One should be able to grab the connectors from a junkyard, yes?

I might have another source for them, too. Give me a few days, i'll try to get ahold of him.
We prefer not to, since (1) that means a bunch of labor getting it out of the ECU, and (2) this particular connector only came in a tiny handful of cars, so it'd take a lot of searching. (We did this for the Ford EEC-IV, which is a lot more common and has fewer pins to desolder.) We don't really have trouble sourcing the connector so much as trouble determining whether we can justify the investment, but as the '93-'95 models outnumber the '96-'97 significantly, our best bet for how to figure out would be to start with a ''93-'95 model and see how it sells.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome, I'm interested though I would assume this is more suited for FI cars but because mine is NA. Why would one need to change the air-fuel mixture?
Usually you would need tuning because either (1) the car has major mods and the stock ECU no longer runs it well, or (2) you're racing in a class with limited mods and every last bit of fine tuning can help get an advantage.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
We prefer not to, since (1) that means a bunch of labor getting it out of the ECU, and (2) this particular connector only came in a tiny handful of cars, so it'd take a lot of searching. (We did this for the Ford EEC-IV, which is a lot more common and has fewer pins to desolder.) We don't really have trouble sourcing the connector so much as trouble determining whether we can justify the investment, but as the '93-'95 models outnumber the '96-'97 significantly, our best bet for how to figure out would be to start with a ''93-'95 model and see how it sells.
Oh, i didn't mean that YOU guys do it.... just that it might not be too horribly hard to DIY if you had the pinouts and some time to search for the plugs. :)

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like we'll probably be starting a group buy for '93-'95s around mid-December. We'll get these ran off as soon as we have probably 10 people committed to buying one, including one person willing to loan us a test car. The test car needs to be relatively stock and in excellent mechanical shape, and we'll need it for about 2-3 weeks for mapping and drivability testing. Everyone who signs up for the group buy will get a discount - somewhere around 5 to 10 percent. I'll post more details when we kick off the group buy.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would deff be interested in one. 1gen of course. and at 800 is still a great price. like i say always AEM go for 1000 so.

I would want the bells and whistle cuz over the winter Im going for the gold on my f2t. Stand alone and a built motor.

So i would be Down. I have been talking to a local tuner and he does work on honda mainly but other stuff too like nissans but i have been talking to him about megasquirt and he is down to give it a good. im pretty amped

I cant do 800 right now but do u guys do layaway? :)

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Layways can be arranged, but you might want to wait until we confirm a '89 F2T unit for production first. :) This is something we could get going with another group buy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts