Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that mazda owners cannot think outside of the box? why is it that when someone mentions an engine swap that isn't a direct bolt-in, mazda owners cower in fear?

i reference this thread to prove my point:
http://70.85.90.149/forums/showthread.php?t=147295

flamage. b/c someone wants to try something different. i really can't understand this.

i mean, where's the difference in mindset between a honda guy and a mazda guy? ppl have absolutely no problem when it comes to some maniac putting a 03 k20 in their 86 crx, but when someone suggests something similar in the mazda world, they get shat on. what's the deal with this?

sure, you might have to custom fab engine mounts, and you might actually have to break out the mazda shop manual for a wiring guide, but grow a set, will you guys?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
if you look around in "this particular" mazda based community you realize only a select few have the sky as the limit..and the countless posts about "can i make my 1g gt RWD" and all that crap have been posted and shot down because whos really ever done it? only very few because its all just hopes and dreams for half the people who post it. because almost all the people who have the money for such crazy swaps just plain out dont own an mx6, people suggest the Fe3 swap because its cheaper to build it and get the same if not better results than all the fab of a mazda 2.3 motor...but not ALL of the mazda owners stay in the box...adamturbo put an f2t in his AE86..and we see more and more guys popping in with b2200 trucks with fe3 and f2t motors... you just need someone to start an idea..and a great one..make it seem easy to achieve and get peoples hopes up to try it..once somebody does it it makes it not seem so impossible..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
FUjii13 said:
why is it that mazda owners cannot think outside of the box? why is it that when someone mentions an engine swap that isn't a direct bolt-in, mazda owners cower in fear?

flamage. b/c someone wants to try something different. i really can't understand this.

i mean, where's the difference in mindset between a honda guy and a mazda guy? ppl have absolutely no problem when it comes to some maniac putting a 03 k20 in their 86 crx, but when someone suggests something similar in the mazda world, they get shat on. what's the deal with this?

sure, you might have to custom fab engine mounts, and you might actually have to break out the mazda shop manual for a wiring guide, but grow a set, will you guys?
i've never understood it either. if they think revving past 5 or 6k is bad for the engine, do u really think that something as radical as a rwd conversion will be even entertainded as feasible? the general board train of thought seems to be if it's never been done then it's not possible. or just wait until someone else does it and then try it. u can't run 17psi on a ze, it'll blow up. so what? next time u'll tune it better so that it doesn't...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
dsr30 said:
i've never understood it either. the general board train of thought seems to be if it's never been done then it's not possible. or just wait until someone else does it and then try it. u can't run 17psi on a ze, it'll blow up. so what? next time u'll tune it better so that it doesn't...
exactly. if these people want to try something new, let them try it. either a.) they will get it done. b.) they will try it, and give up, and lesson learned or c.) try it, completely eff up their cars, and again.. lesson learned. thats how everything came to be anyway, so let these damn people do whatever they want. sure, SUGGEST other options, such as the FE3 opposed to the 2.3l 3 motor, but there is no need to call the person stupid, or flame the shit out of them for it. its just an idea.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
but then again though, like you just stated: a) they are gonna go cry to their mommies if they get flamed on or b) they will use that "flamage" and say "hey wtf, id rather do it and shut these fools up". when it comes to something like this like a swap, ideas are good. but then again i take flamage as constructive criticism. yeah at first im like damn these guys just like to talk crap, but then im just like, eh whatever. its the internet, people are gonna be like that. if you dont like it, you shouldnt be in a forum.

·
Underconstruction
1,050 Posts
FUjii13 said:

have u done anything spectacular?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can't think of one person that has ever done a rwd conversion on a MX-6, if im mistaken maybe someone will post a link to someone who has. Basically, its true that people with the money to do these conversions don't buy a MX-6. Hell, theres been GM 3.8s, Lotus V8s, and even a rotary engine w/ porshe trans swapped into Deloreans. But, those cars are desireable to people with money because they are rare classics. If you had $20,000 saved would you consider buying a good condition MX-6, and do a swap thats never been done before, which could be a huge waste of time and money when you could invest it into another more proven car?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Psylent 6 LS said:
I can't think of one person that has ever done a rwd conversion on a MX-6, if im mistaken maybe someone will post a link to someone who has.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117618&highlight=rwd+probe

basically the exact same thing.

stoney0024 said:
i dont think he posted this thread to back himself, or to get back at people for flaming him. i think hes just standing up for everyone else thats getting flamed for having ideas.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
FUjii13 said:
Most people who own a 1G MX-6 on this forum are poor. Most can barely afford to keep their car maintained, full of gas, and on the road, much less engine swaps that few can afford or perform. Those who could afford them or perform them have better sense than to dump all that money/time into an unheard of, unsupported (by the aftermarket) old dinosaur that is the 1G.

BIG difference here is that hondas are supported in the aftermarket, Mazdas (especially 1G MX-6) are not. It is much easier to swap Honda engines around because the parts for old and new are much easier to find. Hondas also have much better interchangability between generations and engines. Mazdas do not.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I know it's been said, but another thing is time and money.

Hell, When I pulled my 4g63t outta my talon, if I had a 6 with a bad motor just lying around, an extra lump of cash, and the time to do it, I would!

It's hard to find time/money to do all this, especially since these are our DD's!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
magik8 said:
Most people who own a 1G MX-6 on this forum are poor. Most can barely afford to keep their car maintained, full of gas, and on the road, much less engine swaps that few can afford or perform. Those who could afford them or perform them have better sense than to dump all that money/time into an unheard of, unsupported (by the aftermarket) old dinosaur that is the 1G.
i actually only own one because i love them. i had one in the past, got rid of it.. and had the urge to own another.. so here i am. i only have it as a playtoy, something fun to drive in the winter when my mr2 is off the road. they arent that expensive to maintain, keep on the road, or keep full of gas. im only 20 and i own 3 cars, all of which are always maintained, on the road, and full of gas. and its not like i have some miraculous job to help me out here.

i dont think it matters how old or 'dinosaur' a car is, if people love it, then its worth it. id do something incredibly crazy to mine if i felt the need, only becuase i love the car, and not for any other reason. if the people who wanted to do this stuff were 'poor' then they wouldnt even bring it up. everyone knows stuff like this isnt cheap. so i wouldnt even throw down the 'poor' card. i know i wouldnt jump into doing a swap if i had 100$ to my name. and therefor, i wouldnt even mention it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
stoney0024 said:
what's the relavance of that question? why would he have to do something spectacular to make his post?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dsr30 said:
what's the relavance of that question? why would he have to do something spectacular to make his post?
it's completely irrelevant, it's just a good damn thing i had a decent response! ;)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts