Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know ive been on this site for some time now and ive been driving my car since i was 16 and im now 21. Sure ive put the body kit on and some cams, intake exhaust and what not but to tell you the truth i regret doing most of it. Im just wondering why everyone dumps so much money into these cars when in reality ot doesnt do much for you. I guess some people here have amazing cars and might get something out of it but sometimes i just dont see the point of spending paycheck after paycheck to make out cars that much faster, nicer, etc.

now dont get me wrong, i love the 6, i plan on keeping it for a long while and im sure i will dump a few thousand dollars in it in the near future but i just want to know why you guys (and girls) do it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
just the love and the passon of owning something as nice as a car and have your own custom touch to it, so it's not called a "mazda"anymore, its called "mine", with my own personal and thought up created touches, it makes the driven experence more exciting when you know its your work and creation and when you have somebody go. "wow check that ride out", or "look at the sick..." it makes all the money worth it...

Reactions: Brad

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I enjoy knowing how to fix my car, I enjoy sitting back at the end of the day and admiring how much better it looks/performs, I enjoy the car community, I enjoy driving something that I have done the majority of the work on and I enjoy turning a few heads every now and then.

metros

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Well, I'm proud to say that the car I drive was built by me(appearance wise, and soon to be motor:tup:). Also, the fact that there really aren't to many 6's running around, especially in my town. Hell, there are 2 silver one's, and I own both of em!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Jray said:
You know ive been on this site for some time now and ive been driving my car since i was 16 and im now 21. Sure ive put the body kit on and some cams, intake exhaust and what not but to tell you the truth i regret doing most of it. Im just wondering why everyone dumps so much money into these cars when in reality ot doesnt do much for you. I guess some people here have amazing cars and might get something out of it but sometimes i just dont see the point of spending paycheck after paycheck to make out cars that much faster, nicer, etc.

now dont get me wrong, i love the 6, i plan on keeping it for a long while and im sure i will dump a few thousand dollars in it in the near future but i just want to know why you guys (and girls) do it.
I'd feel the same way if I were you.

That's why I don't play with body kits and stuff, you can sure spend $1000s on that stuff, EASILY.

The money I spend goes to repairs and in the near future, engine mods. Outward appearance is one of the last things on my list (unless a car is JUST FUGLY).

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
jiffy6969 said:
I'd feel the same way if I were you.

That's why I don't play with body kits and stuff, you can sure spend $1000s on that stuff, EASILY.

The money I spend goes to repairs and in the near future, engine mods. Outward appearance is one of the last things on my list (unless a car is JUST FUGLY).
Same here. My car runs like it's brand new, no squeeks or random noises, no stalling, no lack of power, passes smog, etc etc etc. It gets me to work every day, gets me a paycheck every two weeks, and gets me where I want to be when I want to be there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
there a re 3 types of people
those that can count
and those that cant
lmao ok actually really there are 2 types of people, those that see there car as a way to work or where ever, then there are those who view their car as an expression of themselves. I for one far into the latter. to work on it and modify it just to show it off or for hobby theres always the satisfaction of money, time and effort well spent. Im not trying to encourage anyone to do something they dont wanna do but I think its a great feeling to have something alil diffferent from everything else. One reason I bought my 6 in the first place lol. now of course I do sit there and have a problem with people spending paycheck after paycheck into 1 thing unless they have the financial stability to do so.but I will not critize anyone for the decisions they make since for the most part they understood what they were doing and they choose to do it regardless.
My hats off to all car owners regardless if they fix up there car or not. Well until you cut me off in the fast line during rush hour. lmao

·
Registered
940 Posts
simple.. Its a hobby.
some people, like myself, just love cars. others see it as an A to B thing.
Thats so true some people don't care how nice their car is as long as they can make it faster or look better its worth the time/money spent on it. I'd say cars are my only true hobby, i do other things but workin on cars is so rewarding and fun to me

Plus it doesn't matter what kind of car it is right when you drive it off the lot it loses its value. Every body that owns a modified car knows they put more money into making the car fast or look good than they spent buying the car. Thats why i bought a relativly cheap car, so i could have to put into the car. (makes sense right?)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
i dont have many mods...
but why i have done the work i have??
i didn't want to be like most of the drivers my age and drive a common car.
it's a classy looking, sporty v6 with pep. It really fun to drive and i sacrafice quite a bit just to keep it. I've had opportunites to sell it and get another car...but i want to use it as a project in school. I've learned a lot about mx6s and cars in general just by owning this 6.
I will continue to poor money into it.
yas are right, two types of people...A-B...and "the car is me"
my family is an A-B type...im the outcast and get crap for it all the time, and i definatly get no support on the subject...not even gas money for xmas, or wiper blades for my bday.

why do we build up our cars?? cuz people who do tend to love doing it, or love the feeling of driving down the street and seeing people looking at their ride...it's a good feeling. I unfortunatly haven't felt it for a while cuz she's a bit bruised bwahaha

·
Registered
72 Posts
TRIS10 said:
there a re 3 types of people
those that can count
and those that cant
lmao ok actually really there are 2 types of people, those that see there car as a way to work or where ever, then there are those who view their car as an expression of themselves.
I don't know if I can really agree with you there... I don't see my car as an appliance, but I don't use it to express myself, either. I'm a car person, through and through, but I'm also an introvert, so I don't care what complete strangers think about me. It's almost never a consideration for me. What do I mean by that? Simple...

I do care about the way my car looks, but only because I like looking at it. If I had to choose between a car with a perfect body and crappy interior, or with a perfect interior, but a crappy body, then I'd choose the perfect interior every time. Give me a comfy and supportive seat, clear analog gauges, a nice thick three spoke wheel, and logical controls and I won't care what the outside looks like.

For me it's about the thrust of a powerful engine and feeling the composure of a well-tuned chassis. I don't care if other people on the road stop to look at my car or even notice it. In fact, I'd prefer they weren't there at all. I am the ultimate car guy paradox... I love cars, but I hate driving (or commuting, rather.)

But back to the original question, I may not be the best person to answer it, since ironically, while I have probably spent more money on my car than most people here, my Probe is basically stock. Yeah, I bought it new. What I do with my car, I do because I enjoy working on cars. I love the satisfaction of solving a difficult mechanical problem. I am almost constantly reading car books and have amassed quite a colletion. If there is a car knowledge out there, I want to learn it.

The last oddity is that while I've spent some money playing with my cars, I've probably made back far more working on other people's cars. Though what I spent on my car may have seemed like a waste at the time, I never would have gotten the experience I needed to do work for others if I hadn't experimented on mine first.

I don't regret the money, but sometimes I do think that maybe I should have picked a cleaner skill/hobby.:lol:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
To me its like getting you hair cut, you want it to look good and fit you:D

Honestly, just becouse you know NO ONE has the same car as you do and most of us can't afford our dream cars, so we make the car we have into our dream car:tup:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm still not too keen on the idea of "modding" my 6. Maybe when I get another one, I'll decide between the two. But mainly what I wanna do with the MX6s (eventually) is rebuild them to last, I'm more interested in keeping em running so I can have my own "classic" so to speak, in a few years. Restoration is a better word I guess.
-Glenn

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Jray said:
Im just wondering why everyone dumps so much money into these cars when in reality ot doesnt do much for you. I guess some people here have amazing cars and might get something out of it but sometimes i just dont see the point of spending paycheck after paycheck to make out cars that much faster, nicer, etc..

its worth while the second you pull that garage door open.. and see your baby begging you to ride her.. I honestly can't adequately put into words how incredible it feels to pull open my garage door.. and see my baby

Jray said:
but i just want to know why you guys do it.

It always brings me up after a hard day... or a bad week.. being able to scoot around in a beautiful, incredible car that makes you laugh every time you hit the gas.... the exhaust is incredible... and so it the attention you car gets you.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts