Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Why do you have a BOV.

• An aftermarket BPV costs more than a BOV.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The "Pssssstttt" sound is way coooool.

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • You never realized why the MX6 uses a BPV and not a BOV

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • You beleive a BOV has a performance advantage over a BPV

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • none of the above.

Votes: 6 18.8%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the reasons that people use BOV on the MX6?
Help me understand!

I don't understand any perceived advantage from putting a BOV on a VAF system, instead of using a std BPV of aftermarket BPV for those running nose bleedingly high Boost.

G

·
I run the stock bypass right now, eventually when I feel like buying more things for my car, I'll upgrade to a Go Fast Bits Hybrid.

No need to **** up my fuel metering.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I bought mine for sound and to hold my boost.

I got it mostly for sound because I did by the loudest BOV on the market.................so some say:E

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't have one yet but I'll probably get an aftermarket on that can hold the boost better. Most likely I'll keep it set up as a BPV.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I currently have an HKS SSQV and like the way it is a reverse opening valve. It cannot leak boost because boost pressure keeps it shut. I do have to admit that I simply love the sound of it, and that the sound is what made me look for a turbo car.

Saying I'm a ricer because I like the sound would be really stupid. I like mexican food, does that mean I'm a mexican? (wait...I am...)I think that having a better made, more reliable vavle on your car is a good thing to do when you're upping the boost. If anything, I think using a "crushed" DSM valve is one of the rice-iest things I've ever seen.

BOV, BPV, BVD, I think it's all a matter of what a person wants, and what they can make work on their car (did I mention I used a BOV and don't stumble while part-throttle shifting?), as long as they don't think it gives them HP...

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I have been running 18psi on a stock turbo for the past 4 month.I went with blitz bov cause the relieve the extra stress and hold my boost better.I have been running 13s since i upped my boost.
I cant say the same about the people with bypass valve.my bypass valve cant even hold 14 psi of boost.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
im using a greddy bov. BUT im recurculating it so technically its a BPV. I prefer it as it allows more air to pass than the stuck unit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
AdamTurbo said:
im using a greddy bov. BUT im recurculating it so technically its a BPV. I prefer it as it allows more air to pass than the stuck unit.
This is exactly what I was going to do when I get the HKS SSQV, leave it BOV style for a little while :D, but then recirculate it back to the intake.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I just installed the type-s on mine and now io regret it!
It sounds "cool" and all, but, it sucks. I lost 2psi and my vac reading is messed up. it USED TO BE 10psi at WOT and at idle i would be reading 20 vac. NOW after the bov install..iam reading 7psi at WOT and 15vac at idle :( I'm still tryin to figure out what is wrong :confused: Also, SOMETIMES, i will have the full 10psi at WOT.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I have no idea why you would install a bov on a car that has a metered system, think about it, the air is metered through the vaf and then you let it out before it hits the intake? so the computer is thinking that it is going to get air that it never gets? it doesnt take a genious to figure out that this is a negative for our cars. If you want something better than the stock bypass, buy a first gen DSM bypass or buy any bov that you can plumb back into the intake, but don't use it as a BOV, BOV's are NOT GOOD FOR OUR CARS, they actually HINDER perfromance

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
SixSick6 said:
BOV's are NOT GOOD FOR OUR CARS, they actually HINDER perfromance
Maybe it's not performance they're after, just attention.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i dunno what types of bov's you blokes use in america, but ive yet to see ANY car stall because it had a bov. i believe you get what you pay for, and the good quality hkz/blitz rarely give backfiring. with my type one bov (turbosmart) the car NEVER backfired, ran like it had the standard bpv (which is only good for a stock car, koz it really is weak), and held up to 15psi no problems. then i upgraded to a bgger type 2 bov. then it started backfiring, carrying on, just yuck to say the least. most of the bov's that are on the market are aimed at high boost/bigger engined applications. this means when you put it on your car, its just overkill. best solution: get a straight pipe and run it where your original bpv was. no boost lost between gear, no carrying on, no hot air being sent to the intake again (referring to a bpv).

just my 2c

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
im runnin the type-s.....it idles fine (after a couple days worth of adjustments), dont stall....i just lost 2psi of boost :( But, i did recieve my MBC today :D So, ill have to play with that.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
MazdaMan069 said:
im runnin the type-s.....it idles fine (after a couple days worth of adjustments), dont stall....i just lost 2psi of boost :( But, i did recieve my MBC today :D So, ill have to play with that.
You probably need to adjust it further.

I have the HKS SSQV (the standard SQV uses the same vavle setup), running atmospheric and have NO stumbling at all in all types of shifting, in all types of temperatures. I occasionally get little pops in the exhaust when it's hot out or I've been feeing her little speed for a while. I think the fact that it's not a Pop-off style valve is the key. I can't vent in neutral (rev up quick and let off). I know I do have a rich condition for the instant after I shift, but still nowhere near a stumble or surge.

I do have to admit that I live for the sound of a full throttle shift, or running the twisties near my house hard, with the BOV. I don't think it makes me fast, and I could really care less if anyone else thinks it's cool or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts