Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah the roads around here got completely iced over today and when i slammed on my brakes the car died. so i did it twice more to see if it would happen again and it did, why does it do this, it isnt very safe since the power steering locks up when it dies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
cheerios165 said:
yeah the roads around here got completely iced over today and when i slammed on my brakes the car died. so i did it twice more to see if it would happen again and it did, why does it do this, it isnt very safe since the power steering locks up when it dies.
well, assuming the car is a manual, did you happen to use that pedal to the left of your brake pedal when locking your wheels up by braking on ice?

let's call it the magical pedal :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nitro balla said:
i think he probly knows how to use a clutch if hes already got it out on the road:rolleyes:
thank you, yes i do know which pedal is which, and say i did accidently hit the clutch instead....that wouldn't cause my car to die, that would put it in nuetral.....two very different things.

so no one has an answer for me?

·
Registered
91 Posts
cheerios165 said:
thank you, yes i do know which pedal is which, and say i did accidently hit the clutch instead....that wouldn't cause my car to die, that would put it in nuetral.....two very different things.

so no one has an answer for me?
uh... is this guy serious ?! he MUST be joking .....

nways, I gave my best shot, anyone wanna try next?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
How bout you either help him out or shut the hell up. Its pretty bad when im 16 and I act more mature then you. Talkin like that isnt gonna make anyone like you, and people do have names you know....

dumbass.

I dont know man maybe its ABS related or something? has it ever does it other times? Does your ABS ever kicked on without it shutin off? I dont really have a clue, but it seems its happening when the ABS kicks on maybe? What I think they meant is like if you were to lock up your wheels with out pressing the clutch pedal is that it would stall out, know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I know that on some cars, if the alternator is going out and the battery is weak, if you draw more power than the system can support (ABS being engaged), the car will stall out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
makhan said:
I know that on some cars, if the alternator is going out and the battery is weak, if you draw more power than the system can support (ABS being engaged), the car will stall out.

That is a good point. That sounds like it coudl be it. Take your car to an autozone or Advance Auto Parts and have them check your electrical system. They do it for free.

·
Registered
91 Posts
CustomMX6 said:
so, is this how you show your maturity? Your mother must be so proud of you, boy....

Listen. I gave him an answer in my very first post, but he obviously missed the point. I don't know, I guess the way I explained it just didn't reach him. But it seems you're roughly of the same mental age as the poster :rolleyes: , so I suggest you try to explain it to him better. Try not to use any big words, such as the one quoted above.

oh, and did you not see his answer?! he OBVIOUSLY did not use the clutch, not even "accidently".

·
Registered
689 Posts
okay... since it really hasn't been cleared up...

1. When you slammed the brakes, did you slide?
2. If so, your wheels locked up. The car doesn't know it's moving, so its just like braking to a stop while in gear at a stop sign. The wheels not moving + being in gear = engine not moving.
3. Did you have the car in gear or not?

I seriously don't know if you were getting this or not.

Not many MX-6's came with ABS.. do you have it?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok......
i don't have abs.
when i hit the brakes i don't think i slid, atleast not enough to feel it. so i don't think i locked my brakes up but that is probably it, i thought on the third try i did it in nuetral but im not positive.
my electrical system does kind of suck but since i don't have abs that probably doesn't matter in this case? el pepe, when you first posted it sounded like what you were saying was i hit the clutch INSTEAD of the brake, reading it again i see what you trying to say. but i've locked my brakes up before and it doesn't die..... but that definitly makes sense. Thanks custommx6 and crizo for explaining it to me in ways i understand, and thanks el pepe for trying. i guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
cheerios165 said:
ok......
i don't have abs.
when i hit the brakes i don't think i slid, atleast not enough to feel it. so i don't think i locked my brakes up but that is probably it, i thought on the third try i did it in nuetral but im not positive.
my electrical system does kind of suck but since i don't have abs that probably doesn't matter in this case? el pepe, when you first posted it sounded like what you were saying was i hit the clutch INSTEAD of the brake, reading it again i see what you trying to say. but i've locked my brakes up before and it doesn't die..... but that definitly makes sense. Thanks custommx6 and crizo for explaining it to me in ways i understand, and thanks el pepe for trying. i guess.
hey no problem. And sorry cheeriosman for being a bit of an ass... just couldn't help it.... your post made me laugh but I guess everybody has to learn the basics sometime....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
are you talking about your i4 or your v6?

ive had similar problems on both my cars. on my ls, it was the alternator, on my i4 im pretty sure its the iac(cleaning it helped a lot)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is on my ls. and im skeptical about my alternator because sometimes my battery acts up, but most the times its fine so i dont know.

but with the i4 im planning on doing that iac cleaning as soon as we have a sunny day here with no snow or rain and hopefully my jumpy idle will stop.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
GUYS

STOP OVER COMPLICATING IT!

you dont have abs.

when you are braking on icy roads.. your wheels lock up.

when your wheels lock up, and you are in gear, the car stalls... even though you are still "moving" - your wheels motion and the engines rpm's are tied together when in gear.

try it in nuetral, see if your car dies when you lock the brakes... it shouldnt.

if it still does, raise the car in the air and start her in 1st gear, but with the clutch pressed in.. if the wheels turn AT ALL - it means your clutch is not fully disengaging and you will need to loosen or tighten the nut on the clutch fork, or pedal appropriately. another possible problem, if your wheels turn at all with the car in the air, in 1st, with the clutch pressed, may be master/slave cylinder issues, since the brakes and clutch share fluid.you may be bleeding off pressure, thus pressurizing the clutch lines a little?

my money is on having left it in gear.

do NOT assume clutch in = nuetral.. it doesnt. and if you have a clutch disengagement problem,clutch in isnt the way to diagnose it.

try again on an icy road with tranny in nuetral, not merely clutch pressed in (but try that as well just to eliminate or help point to certain things.)

by the way when hard braking/ NOT using the engine to come down from speed, you are supposed to press in your clutch for this very reason ;)

but seriously people this is NOT an alternator issue, etc. (an issue may exist, but thats not the root cause of the car immediately dying when on ice, especially if the car can start right up again)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
El Pepe said:
so, is this how you show your maturity? Your mother must be so proud of you, boy....

Listen. I gave him an answer in my very first post, but he obviously missed the point. I don't know, I guess the way I explained it just didn't reach him. But it seems you're roughly of the same mental age as the poster :rolleyes: , so I suggest you try to explain it to him better. Try not to use any big words, such as the one quoted above.

oh, and did you not see his answer?! he OBVIOUSLY did not use the clutch, not even "accidently".

:rolleyes: ...Sad, to say the least. It took some explainin, he was pretty confused. Manuals are tough for a first car. And cut with the lip....your not any "cooler" then you were before you posted that, just made yourself out to be a.....dumbass. (yet again)

Yeah goat, thats what I told him on AOL, Me and him figured thats what was prolly it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well im not THAT dumb i know you need to put the clutch in when braking to a stop, i just never thought about locking up your brakes as being the same because i have only locked my brakes on a few occasions....and atleast when i locked them the one time on my RS it didn't die, so i've never really had a reason to think about it before, but yes it makes sense and yes thats what happened. and yes i feel dumb now. and yes its time to let this thread die.

the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts