Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Mazda mX6 v6 5spd.

I went to a parts desk yesterday to ask a lady how much it would be for an 02 sensor for my car..she said there was four of them and each are around $200....

Well, that HAS to be a lie becuase i cant even find one.
How many 02 sensors are there for this car and where are they located?
well, i got these codes when i brot it to a shop.

can someone help me out?
What it needs
and what i can do?
and what risk it will pose?

This is waht was written down for me on the peice of paper.

P0443 ( I searched on the internet and could not find this code)
Evap Purge Control valve.

P1770
02 Sensor

P1195 ( this is the tricky one)
EGR Boost sensor
OR
BARO sensor circut.

What id like to know is
1.Do I replace or clean
2. how much does this part cost
3.What is the name of the exact part that i need if it needs to be replaced
4. What is the last code..what do i do, what is the part..etc. basicaly ..WTF.

thanks in advanced.

Im asking this becuase im sending it to a shop, to get all this fixed. i want to know everything for my self also so he duznt end up charging me every last dime in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
yes, you do have 4 because you have a 96, which is obdII. you have one on each header after the pre cat converter, so that's two already. then you have one on each part of the y pipe where the headers connect to, so there's your 4.

I believe you will need two 3 wire o2 sensors and two 4 wire o2 sensors. get them from rockauto.com if you don't want to rip yourself off by going to a dealer. these will cost around 43-44 bucks each from rockauto before shipping. there are also 5% off coupons floating around for rockauto all the time.

the other stuff, i don't know about

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, which code will tell me which exact 02 sensor needs to be replaced?
do i have the right code here? p1770?

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
From what I can tell, P1770 is a clutch solenoid problem, not an o2 sensor. You shouldn't even have that code because it's for an ATX.

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Are you sure it isn't P1170?

P1170 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Fixed (Bank 1 Sensor 1)?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are you sure it isn't P1170?

P1170 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Fixed (Bank 1 Sensor 1)?
oops
yeah
on the paper it says p1170
so it is what you just said HO2S Bank 1 sensor...so which 02 sensor is that?

Okay i did some research, i figure out it is one of the first set of 02 sensors, right on the manifold, not the two that are right before the cat?

i also figure out that this sensor could malfunction due to a leak in exhaust? my exhaust had a leak in it right at the connection for the cat and the piping afterwards, almost as if a gasket was missing. I used muffler cement and sealed up most of the exh, should resetting the ECU after sealing the exhaust fix this?

i also have a fear in resetting the ecu becuase i have this thought in my mind that if you reset it while having bad sensors..you may just screw up the car...bcuz i had an 02 sensor code with my 93 integra, and i reset the ecu for a different reason, and that same morning, the car sputtered and died and nobody could figure out why... so.. i dont know if i should.
I know eventually im going to have to, but i dont want to do it unless there is a huge possibility that the code wont show up

I also have a hissing noise from somewhere in the car, i thought it was the exhaust but it turns out its not becuase when i sealed it up the noise is still there, its a slight whistle so im also assuming a vaccum leak?
could anybody tell me what i could do ?

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
A vac leak can cause codes, so find that leak! There are a couple of ways to find leaks including spraying starter fluid around the motor to see where a leak exists, but in your case, since you can hear it, just take a vac diagram (you can find it on this site), and follow all the vac lines to ensure they are all plugged into the right spots and there are no tears.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
okay what im going to do is light a mach then blow it out and wach where the smoke goes...is that a smart idea? becuase i looked inside the hood and everything looked attached.

i need to find a brick if im going to leave the car running while i look for a leak becuase the car has no e brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts