Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting different error codes when I drive my car.

To keep it simple, on first drive one error code was 23 for the front O2 sensor, but then on the next drive, it was the other one 24 that reported a trouble code. But not both at the same time.

Is there any explanation for this? (I only drove the car for about 5-10 minutes but it was warmed up, pretty sure anyways going by the gauge).

Both of the O2 sensors are brand new.

·
Registered
208 Posts
both those errors are for the right-hand o2 sensor. I believe thats the rear bank, but i could be wrong. one is inversion & the other is inactivation. So the rear bank o2 sensor needs to be replaced. If you are 100% sure that the sensor is not bad then check all the wiring for it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops, sorry, I mis-spoke. It was code 17 on the first run. But on the second run that code was not there.

This is my first real "project" ever (taking out the EGR) and I've obviously goofed some stuff up here (disconnected alot of hoses and TB + intake manifold to get to the valve) as I just started a slew of new error codes:

34 Idle air control solenoid (which is probably from the cracked duct)
46 VRIS #2 solenoid (no idea why this one came on)
28 EGR vacuum solenoid
24 is new too I think (o2 sensor inversion error)

16 is still there too

·
Registered
208 Posts
who/when were the 2 o2 sensors replaced? B/c you know what those errors are. Check all the vaccum lines, could be related to both the EGR error & VRIS error. To check the VRIS error, just unplug the actual solenoid. Move it to "open" and place your thumb over the vaccum area, if it stays "open" then it isn't the solenoid, & if all vacum lines are correct then it is the electric component.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I learned that not all codes are memorized (retained when the engine is turned off)...maybe that is why these "new" codes had not shown up before.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
OK, so I learned that not all codes are memorized (retained when the engine is turned off)...maybe that is why these "new" codes had not shown up before.
those "new" codes are showing up because there are issues making them appear.

you've said that you had a few issues with vacuum hose routing. improper routing would cause a lot of those codes you have. i would suggest picking up a haynes manual or doing a search for the vacuum diagram and try following that to make sure all of your hoses are connected properly.

btw, code 28 is for the EGR CONTROL solenoid, not vacuum. there are two of these solenoids and they are interconnected. the other is the EGR vent solenoid [a code 29].

1 - 6 of 6 Posts