Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why manual is better than auto? Atuo cars dont have that lag in between and when i race they go faster untill i start to get boost. I dont get it...

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Hmm, let's see...

1) Lighter (By at least 50lbs in a 2G MX6)
2) Better fuel economy (I gained 5mpg after switching to MTX)
3) More resilient to abuse (in the MX6)
4) Easier to repair (Manual transmissions usually have only one clutch, whereas automatics have many clutch packs)
5) Manual transmissions normally do not require active cooling, because not much power is dissipated as heat
6) Cheaper
7) More control over the transmission and the car in general... much easier to decelerate and corner by downshifting, rather than just stomping on the brakes

Good enough?

Reactions: TanMX6

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
8) Which is most important, more fun! I'm driving an ATX nowwhile my cars in the tranny shop and I still stomp on the floor like a maniac feeling for my clutch while panicking because I cant find the pedal! ATX are just too boring :tdown:

-Tyler

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
tyler886 said:
8) Which is most important, more fun! I'm driving an ATX nowwhile my cars in the tranny shop and I still stomp on the floor like a maniac feeling for my clutch while panicking because I cant find the pedal! ATX are just too boring :tdown:

-Tyler
Agreed :tup:

Actually DRIVING the car is alot more fun than just sitting there. I find myself unengaged and bored when I drive an automatic... no wonder so many people on the road are terrible drivers. In an MTX, you can actually think ahead and choose what gear you'd like to be in, what your RPM's are gonna be, etc. I find it's alot easier to drive more smoothly overall, around corners and such, rather than stomping the brakes and waiting for the car to float around corners.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
xtermin8or said:
Yeah but why is manual faster?? thats what i dont get
It can be shifted more appropriately in the engine's powerband and likewise has an extra gear, it's lighter, it has less drivetrain loss through heat and the more moving parts that an automatic does.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Malicious said:
It can be shifted more appropriately in the engine's powerband and likewise has an extra gear, it's lighter, it has less drivetrain loss through heat and the more moving parts that an automatic does.

·
Registered
527 Posts
you can take off faster because you set the rpm's for lunch...you can make the shift of gears longer let's say you peak power in your car is at 6000 rpm when and automatic will shift at 5500 rpm you can take it to 6000 and then shift...plus the burn outs...plus down shifting...all the fun..

·
Registered
685 Posts
They aren't the same either, an automatic transmission isn't a manual transmission that changes itself. The gears themselves are different. And a lot of the times the automatic isn't designed for racing, it is for economy and smoothness... so it will shift early.

Read these two articles for more information.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm

Some of the newest automatics (on high end cars) are actually faster than the manual option. And in theory (it doesn't work this way yet from what I understand) CVT could keep the car in it's powerband 100% of the time. Varying gearing constantly with spead rather than engine RPMs

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Malicious said:
Agreed :tup:

Actually DRIVING the car is alot more fun than just sitting there. I find myself unengaged and bored when I drive an automatic... no wonder so many people on the road are terrible drivers. In an MTX, you can actually think ahead and choose what gear you'd like to be in, what your RPM's are gonna be, etc. I find it's alot easier to drive more smoothly overall, around corners and such, rather than stomping the brakes and waiting for the car to float around corners.
I couldnt agree with you more! When driving the ATX I'm driving currently I dont seem to be engaged as much. I think if I would have been driving an ATX instead of an MTX for the past two years I've been driving, I would have gotten into an accident. MTX is just better in every asset to me!

-Tyler

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'm with all of you, and in fact when I was like looking for a car I knew nothng about mazdas or mx6's or 626's, I bought it mainly because it was a manual. There was no way I was like going to buy an automatic. (Although I'm really glad it turned out to be a mazda and all that stuff, cuz they are awesome and this site is equally as awesome as the cars we drive)

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
When I was looking for a car for Me, I had my criterion.
1.- MTX
2- Above average/better handling than a 'regular' ride
3- 4wheel disc w/abs
4- Decent performance, handling and responsiveness- to my style of driving.
4- Looks/lines and style
5- amenities
That is what I found with the 2G 6.
Quite simple actually.
Im sure there may be other cars that fits that discription.....but the mx6 caught my attention...and I am quite pleased with the results.
Take it from there.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
For me, it depends on the car. If it's a truck, SUV, or a big luxury/family sedan (like my Millenia), I prefer the automatic. If it's a sports sedan or coupe, I'll take manual.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
For me, I still prefer a mtx on my truck - granted its only an '88 Ranger- but overall, an mtx gives better control in general......again, just my $02 worth.
If I had a F150 or big hunking SUV... like you see on the road, where the driver is on his/her cel phone talking away while driving in the pouring rain and not giving a 'rats ass' as to who is around him/her, I might settle for an ATX ...and sit back and take a ride.....but that's not for me.
To each their own!!!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
9) no torque converter or wait for power

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
i like the manual, as it keeps your attention on the road, and what you are doing (which has been mentioned) and i've found it tons of fun, being able to rev out any gear, and i couldnt imagine driving an auto sportscar... its not meant to be.
looks like others agree with me too, as auto mx6's sell for less than manual ones where i live. ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yep... id have to agree that the main advantage to a MTX tranny is that you dont have to wait for the car to get pff its ass and move... your sitting in the car.... trying to change lanes and here is your thoughts

"COME ON YOU SLOW ASS ATX POS.... DOWNSHIFT SO I CAN GET THE [fizzle] OUT OF THE WAY OF THAT BIG RIG!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

and now that the 18 wheeler has hit you b/c your slow shifting ass couldnt get any speed... you have spun out of control and hit a tree, totalled your car.. oh and.. since you didnt have your seatbelt on... you went through the window!!! *DEAD*

yea.. so MTX FOR THE WIN!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah a manual is just alot tighter, you can hit your cars sweet spot get to knwo your car... keep it in a lower gear when you know that rolling race is going to be starting as you go down a 2 lane road and know when you hit the gas your car is going to haul ass,. not sit there shifting down. The only time I dont mind an automatic is like a big luxury car or etc like the other guy said ;). I've owned automatic non turbo, automatic turbo, manual non turbo, manual turbo, and hands down the manuals are faster, more responsive etc. You just FEEL and KNOW your car better in a manual :)

Charles

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Um, guys, are we forgettin the fact that it also has one extra gear??

I've had 4 cars, all have been 5 speeds, and I dont plan on going to an auto anytime soon, and to top it off I do alot of city and alot of traffic jam driving, and I still love to shift, its just me lol It feels right.

EDIT: I think I'm retarted, am I the only one that figures the MTX is faster becuase it has the extra gear (unless its overdrive I suppose, even still though, on some..) thats why its faster. Think about it, its gonna take alot longer to 7000 rpm if its at 25mph vs 40mph. Its like when an auto will shift into 2nd at, lets say 45, in a manual you would be in 2nd gear at higher rpm, making more power, therefor it would accelerate faster.

Thats what I assumed but I'm not sure now that no one else pointed that out...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts