Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people use winter rims in replace of their alloys? Does salt corride the aluminum or something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
For me, it's for several reasons:

1) Protect the finish of the alloys from salt.

2) Snow tires are usually skinny; mine are 185s versus the stock 225s (on my PGT...) The stock rims are too wide for a skinny little 185.

3) In the unlikely but nevertheless possible event the car slides on ice and hits a curb, I'd rather it was done on cheesy black steel rims than my alloys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Winter rims...

I use 14 inch rims with 195/70/14 winter tires because this combination is equivelant to your stock 205/55/15 in terms of your overall "wheel" diameter, you do the math. Why? Because tire experts has advise me to keep the diameter of your winter tires exact of close to your stock measurements. It helps many aspects such as your engine, drive shaft, wheel bearings and suspension from pre-mature wear and tear. Another reason why I refuse to buy 17inch rims with tires measuring 225/45/17. Having a higher or greater sidewall enables your tires to sink deep into the snow where the winter treads will work.
Basically buying smaller rims and increasing the sidewall height has measured nearly to what my stock is (606.5mm-stock 605.0mm-winter)
And what the guy said above was right about harsh salty contaminents going onto your alloys....treat it like your car's body.

*RIMS/WINTER TIRES WILL MOST LIKELY BE A LITTLE BIT HEAVIER WHICH IS BETTER FOR TRACTION*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts