Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Do people get Chrome intake peices. Chrome retains heat quite a bit, which means that when the air is passing through the intake, it is getting heated, which means that it is less dense, which makes less power! Bye the way, If I were to take a few peices of insulation and wraped them around my intake elbow between the new K&N and the throttle body, that Should give me a few more horses, right?

·
Registered
475 Posts
people get chrome intake pieces soley for one reason, looks. Chrome just looks nice uner the hood.
As for your second question I dont think the insulation will ahve much of an effect to boost your hp at all but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm sure any effect would be v.slight/unnoticeable in terms of performance, but shiny chrome should reflect the considerable heat radiated from the engine and other bits, and keep the intake air cooler, no?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
thermal wrap might be a good idea... it works best on turbo engines but it would probably help a little. not much on the dyno but your car should feel more "peppy". possibly better throttle respone too...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not to reflect heat from the air under the hood, which would still be conducted into the intake material of course, just the radiant heat from internally heated surfaces (exhaust etc)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
MX-6 BOY jr said:
this still will not help becuase the air under the hood is still very hot.

[Edited by MX-6 BOY jr on 05-15-2001 at 02:19 PM]
this is the purpose of the thermal wrap... to insulate from the ambient underhood heat...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
NOOOO im not sayin the filter!!!...LOL

you put a CAI or something similar and wrap the piping...

this lets you induce cold air and keep it cold..

thermal wrap along with jet coating would be nice on the header too...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
LOL...okay that was wierd... now that were on the same page...LOL

anyone had experience with cuting a hole in the hood in order to make a ram-air setup?

G

·
You know when you just start up your car cold, how it seems to be a little quicker than after a few minutes of driving? Well I have heard that wraping insulations around your pipe wont give you more horse power, but instead will decresae your loss of hp after a while of driving. But really, if you have a cold air intake that was company made then I really doubt that wrapping it will do sqaut cause they make pipes that are supposed to be heat resistant. If it is stock then I would get a spacer of some kind to get it farther away from the hot parts of the engine:).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts