Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has done a widebody conversion of an mx-6? (That would be absolutely sick!) :E

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I'm working with it but it is a long shot. Won't be ready in a moment. Pics and design ready but still have something to think about before I start making this prototype. If everything works out fine.
Mici

·
Registered
830 Posts
I did try to do it, when I was doing my body kit. I stopped because it would cost too much, it adds a lot of weight and it's still a FF car. The style that I was doing is like those new Trans Am and DTM body style. Even know I did not finish, I still learn a lot about how to do a wide body, so if anyone ran into any problem, just email me.

PS: Although, I did not do the widebody on the MX6, but I'm doing it on my RX-7 project.

[Edited by coldnoodle on 03-20-2001 at 05:52 PM]

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Hey Coldnoodle, got any good suggestions or tips? I have skethed my design but still haven't started to make it happen.
Thanks
Mici

·
Registered
830 Posts
There many ways you can sculpt your kit.
1. use modeling clay: cost more, and you have to know how to sculpt clay, but much easier to shape.

2. buy those insulator foams from Home Depo: cut them into smaller pieces and glue them on the car, then just shave them into the shape you want.

3. some people even did it by cutting the sheet metal and just extend them outward then weld it.(old school style)

After you finish shaping the kit, make a temp mold(or a good mold if you are thinking of selling the kit), then make parts out of it.(for method 1, 2)

When you do the wide body, you should do a complete job(replace the front fenders, trim the rear fenders to make room for larger wheels, and redo the gas inlet by using the racing gas cap kit.) And make it as light as possible, so it will not be too heavy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right then.... not that i'm in any position to be doing it yet, but... couple things i'm wondering about doing a widebody. ok, i get the part about making the fenders, etc. (i figure if you used fiberglass it might not be excessively heavy). but what about widening the wheel base (i mean the track)? you can only widen the actual wheels so much on the inside before you start to rub, otherwise you gotta screw with the offset, which isn't ideal. wheel spacers will only get you so far before you stress the wheel bearings/ball joints... ("wait, how wide are you going, pal?") so i figure you'd hafta extend the axles, modify the suspension, sway bars, control arms, etc, while maintaining proper suspension geometry... or am i just making it more complicated than it really is?

...coldnoodle, deejayarse, how are your projects coming along? what have you had to do so far?

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Well... Nuttin much to report yet... I was gonna get a Shogun nose to use on it but the bulk buy failed and I don't have it now. So I'm makin my own front piece now.
It should look something near the stock one on MK4 Supras. U know... A bit like the shogun one but not so radical. I mite turn out to be good to have it wiw wide kit... When it comes ready, you surely will get pics posted in MX6.com. I'm workin on it but my day job is slowing me down.
Laterz
Mici

·
Registered
830 Posts
unless you have resources, otherwise, people usually use the combonation of spacer and wider wheel to extend the wheels. It should be ok, as long as you don't go overboard. When making widebody, you should completely replace the front fenders, and cut the rear panels before you add on the widebody to make more room for larger wheels.

As for the Rx7 widebody, there has been any progress. Mainly because I'm spending too much on the engine....

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
We want to see it when it's finished, superfly! Well... I've changed my plans a bit... I'm not sure about going to widebody but it's gonna be different as you can usually see on MX-6. Won't tell much about it yet though... Top secret hehe. Well I'll post the pics when I'm done wiw it.
Mici
Kraziest maxxxer in Finland

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I've been trying Photoshopping it too... Nothing decent came up, I'm no good in photoshop. I think I could use some more practice with it. Or even better someone to train me with it. :) Anyways, not much to report yet with the kit. Still figuring out how to sort it on the car. Dunno where to find that modelling clay. And I think I'd need a lot of it too...
Mici

1 - 16 of 16 Posts