Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a really wierd problem, when i depress the brake pedal my left turn signal gets partially lit up does anybody know what the heck could make the car do that. Oh yeah ive been having some trouble with my battery light coming on could the two be related in any way, comp or elctrical problem maybe?

·
Registered
146 Posts
just a guess, but all that stuff in your sig might have something to do with it. Weird things happen when you're pulling to much power without some compensation. Try disconnecting extra electrical connections and see where that takes you. If all is well, maybe you should invest in a power cap for all that power sucking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ive been thinking that too but i put a post up under the audio and stuff and the guys there said my 800W shouldnt have too much of an effect also im only running the amp at half power so i hope its no that. Oh yeah i just remembered the turn signal thing started right after took out my subs actually(needed some extra trunk space). Whether or not it is affecting it too badly, one of the next mods i plan to do is buy a capacator for the system. (oh yeah by power cap do you mean capacitor?) so i still think its something electrical hopefully not the computer?????:confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
if your alternator (or battery) are running less than optimal then any additional drain can have an affect. And yes I do mean capactior... Even though you're really not running an excessive amount of equip a 1/2 farad cap will still help take stress off of the alternator. Also, clean your battery terminals and connectors to the alternator. Clean the alternator connections with brake cleaner (because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue). Do not get crud into the alternator - cover as much as possible with foil or something, then spray. Let it dry for 15 min or so, reconnect, and see where you're at after that. Post back with results or more questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks im at college right now so i dont really have any stuff to work on it, but ill be going home next week and will try that then thanks again

G

·
short to ground

sounds to me like you have a short to ground. get under your dash and look where your wires run. might be that your brake conncections are hitting the combonation switch wires. if it's doing that then it'd complete the circuit and cause it to come on, does. might be just as simple as a skinned wire. easy to check.:E

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
juvenile2k3 said:
ive been thinking that too but i put a post up under the audio and stuff and the guys there said my 800W shouldnt have too much of an effect also im only running the amp at half power so i hope its no that. Oh yeah i just remembered the turn signal thing started right after took out my subs actually(needed some extra trunk space). Whether or not it is affecting it too badly, one of the next mods i plan to do is buy a capacator for the system. (oh yeah by power cap do you mean capacitor?) so i still think its something electrical hopefully not the computer?????:confused:
A common misconception: Turning the input potentiometer on an amplifier to "half" does not make it run at "half" output. I won't get into the technical reasons behind it, but suffice it to say it's just not true.

Turn signals operate off relays and such, so I tend to doubt that an a heavy power drain will cause your turn signal to "light up" as you describe when you press the brake pedal. My guess is you have a wiring fault or something like that involved. Hopefully you aren't grounding or powering any of this equipment on the light circuits.

A capacitor will not solve your power draining problem - capacitors don't make power. You need a bigger alternator to make more power - period. Caps will only prevent damage to the voltage regulators by smoothing the power demand. Caps also provide more immediate power near the amplifier when necessary. But, again, they don't solve low-power problems.

G

·
short to ground

the problem is a short to ground,i can almost guarantee it. and no, a capacitor would not help, a capacitor is only helpful to store power and help at a peak drainage level, like when you hit a serious bass note. (it'll take power from the capacitor to compensate).

if you have a short to ground then your battery light will come on becuase energy is routing itself to an outlet that should not be in the circuit( brake pedal, sharp edge, etc.). computers are designed to find this because there is not full amps or volts going through the system.

dave

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Prolly a bad ground man...I had a similair problem-but much worse... From what the mechanic was saying at the time, he has fixed quite a few MX6s with bad grounds under the hood...Time to pull out the multi-meter and compass.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts