Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 mx6 2.0 5spd( I kno, I know, but i love the gas mileage, around 37mpg). It has 234,000 miles on it (I bought it new) and its recently started doing something odd. In the morning when I crank it i get a cloud of blue smoke, always in the morning. Now normally I would jump to the rings, however it does something a bit different. It it sits for more than a day or two, no smoke, runs great. This hasnt been gradual, it just started one day. The only thing I can think of that I did to the car was I added some stp oil treatment to it and very shortly afterwards it began to smoke. May not have anything to do with that. Anyone else have or had this problem? or any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'd say you should try running some synthetic oil and see what happens. My car would burn a little oil with regular oil, but it would never burn any of the synthetic, so there was less smoke at start up.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
If you added something to the oil and it then started doing it, drain the oil and flush it out! Synthetic oils wont help you here. If you have damaged the rings, then you need more then an oil change.

Change the oil and see if it's still doing it. You might need to try AutoRX to restore the seals on the car. Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

·
Registered
110 Posts
make a compression test(active and passive...i guess thats what u call it). a leak down test too.
It will give much more info to where to start first!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
sounds like bad valve guides to me. if it was rings it would smoke all the time .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have changed the oil, no change. I did as someone else suggested on my other post and bought "Engine Restore." Waiting to see the effects of that. Worse case scenario I spend a grand on a reman head cylinder. The car has been to good to me to trade out for a different one and did I mention I regularly get 37mpg. Im thinking of buying a nice muffler and cat (if I can find one that wont sound like a fart tube) and possible a cold air thing and see if I can cross into that 40mpg range. Thanks for all your advice, even though Im not really a performance mx6 enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Buy a new motor before you spend a grand rebuilding the top of an old one. A good KLZE can be had under a $1000 at most places and then it's a few hundred more for install.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Buy a new motor before you spend a grand rebuilding the top of an old one. A good KLZE can be had under a $1000 at most places and then it's a few hundred more for install.
Actually it would be ALOT more expensive than that for his car. Just troubleshoot that engine, or find another 2.0 with lower mileage. If you do get a new engine, make sure that you get the engine out of a car that is a 93-95 if your car falls under those years, and the same goes if you have a 96 or 97, get the engine from a 96 or 97. Don't want to confuse your cars computers by putting an OBD-I engine in a car that had a OBD-II engine before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I saw the 6cyl, and thought about it. But Id have to swap everything then and I really like the fuel economy of the 4cyl. I had a 2.5 kd I could at best get 23mpg out of her. I figured if I replace the head and then the bottom end wears out, Ill simply have the bottom rebuilt.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Dont make that mistake of upgrading for the sake of upgrading. I used to have a '94 RS with a 5 speed as well, and man I sure missed that car. Yeah the fuel economy was just awesome... so was its reliability.
The power of a LS is nice, but its not worth all the hassle with trading cars, or doing a swap.. please trust me on that.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Actually it would be ALOT more expensive than that for his car. Just troubleshoot that engine, or find another 2.0 with lower mileage. If you do get a new engine, make sure that you get the engine out of a car that is a 93-95 if your car falls under those years, and the same goes if you have a 96 or 97, get the engine from a 96 or 97. Don't want to confuse your cars computers by putting an OBD-I engine in a car that had a OBD-II engine before.
Oops! My fault, forgot we were dealing with an RS, not an LS!

Please ignore my last post then, you WOULD be better off rebuilding the head if it came to that. Don't do a V6 swap, its a lot of work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts