Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the gym a couple days ago and there was a nice looking 2nd gen MX-6. The first thing I noticed were really wide tires. I went over to take a look and they were 225/50 15's on what I think were the stock rims.

I went over to Les Schwab to ask if I'd be able to fit 225/50s on my ride and he said they'd fit but would look wierd because the rim is 8" wide while the tires would be 9.5". Has anyone tried this?

I think it's look cool because my old Acura Legend had tires that were wider than the rims and it looked cool, but they were 60 series tires. Perhaps 50 series tires would look stupid?

Please comment.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Your rim size is 6.5" wide if stock

O.D. 205.55.15 = 606.5mm
O.D. 225.50.15 = 606.0mm

No speedometer or height interference
Issue is fitment on a 6.5" rim & width

With a 6.5" rim you'd not get the full 225
benefit to the ground in both cornering and
straight ahead because of tire contact patch area.

A narrower rim (in effect, due to 225) will
actually increase comfort a bit but make the
steering less responsive ("narrow wheel over
a wide tire vs wide wheel over narrow tire").

G

·
They will fit, right now i have 225/55R15, I don't really like the way the 55 series look, the sidewall is too tall. I only put them on because i got them dirt cheap, I have Michelin Pilot MXMs they retail for $186 a piece, i payed a $100 for all four new, no clearance problems at all, even with eibach springs.

G

·
I also have 225/50/15 on my stock rims....not as responsive but makes a smoother ride....im not looking for all the "sport" aspects of the car...just love the ride!

·
Banned
55 Posts
PAracing6 said:
They will fit, right now i have 225/55R15, I don't really like the way the 55 series look, the sidewall is too tall. I only put them on because i got them dirt cheap, I have Michelin Pilot MXMs they retail for $186 a piece, i payed a $100 for all four new, no clearance problems at all, even with eibach springs.

225/50/15 and 205/55/15 has the same sidewall height. otherwise you'd have a smaller tire diameter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
PAracing6, how do you have 15" tires and 17" wheels at the same time?!? You said you have 225/55/15 tires, yet your sig. says you've got 5-zigen inperio M-05 17". Please explain.

G

·
I haven't put the 17's on yet because of the weather, plus I still need some tires for them, i picked the rims up off e-bay cheap. any suggestions on tires?? I think i may go with a set of 225/45/17 toyos, but i have a 7" rim, and i read that you need at least a 7.5" rim for 225s. I am looking for an aggressive summer only tread pattern, with a decent treadwear rating. any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not real happy with my Toyo FZ4 tires. Ran 235/40/18 for about 22K miles and they seemed to lose traction steadily over the past few months. They are a good tire, but not worth the $220ea I paid. I'm looking at Yokahama Paradas this time. I should have them on this weekend and I'll let you know what I think. Significantly cheaper at about $150ea.

·
Banned
55 Posts
dunlop sp8000 is such a good deal at tirerack.com and it's helluva tire for the money. for a newer design and good treadwear bridgestone re730 is also recommended.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PAracing6 said:
so what do you mean by not as responsive? Does it give the wheel an off-center feel like it's tough to go straight ahead?

G

·
Good looks

On stock rim the Goodyear Eagle GTII looks great (205/55) and performs good too. The thing I like about this tire is the tread width @ 7"! This is one of the widest 205s you'll see, cause with 7" tread width is comparable to what some 225 series gives. But if you wanted to the 225 will fit... some guys on the zcar.com board have 225 and a couple even went with a 235 on stock Z rims which are only 6.5". I personally think 235 on 6.5 are overkill, but they work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can those of you with 225/50/15 0r 225/55/15 please post some pics. Does anyone have 205/60/15 on the stock rims? Post some pics please.
Thanks, Wally

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good eyesight.

Well Spotted Bowdwn.

Its easy to list mods you have in the garage and not on the car!
Hmmmm ......what have I got... now let me see !

BOWDWN2MX6 said:
PAracing6, how do you have 15" tires and 17" wheels at the same time?!? You said you have 225/55/15 tires, yet your sig. says you've got 5-zigen inperio M-05 17". Please explain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts