Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 5spd and I have always wanted a short shifter. I drove a miata and wow, what a
difference!

The only question I have, is that in my car when I shift from first to seccond, there's a little.. not sure what to call it--clunk that I feel in the shifter. The clutch doesn't slip at all, but when I go from first to seccond or third to seccond it clunks. What is that?

·
Registered
511 Posts
thats probably the notchiness associated with our shifts. how about when you go from neutral to first? feel similar? the best fix for this is to put in 3 quarts of redline MT90. $7 ea at www.myoilshop.com

if its cold where you live substitute one quart MTL for the MT90.

a short throw shifter (STS) will actually make this problem worse, unless you have the good fluid in your gearbox.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool

Cool, so if I put the redline in it should be much better? I assume I drain the old stuff? Is that easy?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

·
Registered
100 Posts
it is pretty easy, if you can get the car high off the ground. I would just assume take it to a shop with the oil and have them put it in for you, its easier that way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a go

Cool, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

alex

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
youll need some big sockets... like 23mm if memory serves.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bleeding

Do I then have to bleed the system? Is this hard to do?

Alex

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the specific torques? And replacing the washer? Do I just go pick up a new washer?

Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts