Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought my car (88' atx gt) the guy said that he had some tranny work done. Well the past couple of weeks i've had some problems with the atx and have been trying to use my haynes and chilton's to decipher the prob. but all the pics in either book look nothing like my tranny. Then i found under the driver seat of my car a ATSG Mazda G4A-EL Techtran 4-speed service manual and the front of the book says 1993. could the previous owner have put a tranny in from a 93' mx6? Maybe this is why i'm having such difficulty figuring out what's wrong. I guess i just need to know if the 93' mx6 atx tranny would bolt up to my 88' gt. and how do i find out for sure if i do have a 93' tranny in my car?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S.- Also the picture on the front of the manual i found definetely resembles my tranny more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would i have a tranny book for a 93' in my car? and every picture or diagram that i find in the haynes or chilton's for my year car, none of the pics or diagrams match anything on the tranny in my car. is there a ID number or something that i can check to see exactly what tranny it is? The pic on the front of the 93' service manual is almost identical to what i have in my car. I'm not saying your not correct, but something is up with the pics and things not matching, so i need to know what i'm dealing with?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
There is no way your have a tranny from a 2G MX-6 in your 1G. The bellhousings are completely different and I'm sure the gear ratios are off significantly.

As to why you have a tranny book from a '93, who knows. Some people (possibly like yourself) just think 'an MX-6 is an MX-6, they all gotta be the same.'

-Tyler

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is not the case, i know that the car's are different, i just need some help identifiying exactly what tranny i have in my car, because so far i have two manuals and neither has a pic that looks even remotely like the tranny in my car. I have the stamped number on top of the tranny if that would help? 1YVGD31C7J5120325 is there a site that i can go to look up that identification number? i'm lost because the two books i have (haynes and chilton's 88-92 626 mx6) show farely detailed pics of the tranny and they are not the tranny that is in my car. i just need to find out what it is? thanks alot!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
dude.. if you have an auto.... just buy a damn MTX... and spend the 2 days mounting it in... itll all be worth it

the reason why the manual shows a tanny that DOESNT look like yours is because in just about every repair manual.... it shows an MTX

·
Registered
207 Posts
All the information given to you is based on the asumption that you actually have the original engine for that car. Some people take the engines out of cars and put different engines in their place. So to everyone who has posted how sure are you all that he has 1g engine because he never said so and theres lots of room under that hood for a 3.1 out of a tempest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts