Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have a totally stock '90 626 LX hatch, and I was wondering if it was possible to fit the ABS system from a MX-6? if so, would it be worth getting the parts 2nd hand or should I try getting them straight from Mazda?

I was also wondering how interchangable other parts are, will most aftermarket stuff for a MX-6 fit a 626 as well?

I was planning on getting an air filter as my 1st mod, is there a huge difference between getting a cone style filter and tearing out the air box, or will just a K&N filter that drops into the stock air box make a difference?
Will changing the filter make any difference at all on a non-turbo engine?

Thanks, any info would be appreciated :)

[Edited by panik on 02-01-2001 at 07:25 AM]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your car is mechanically identical to the MX-6. The fron of the car bodywise is as well. Any mechanical mods they make for the MX-6 will work on the 626. Anarchyx34 has a 626 GT and has done quite a bit to his car, you should get in touch with him.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
yeah, mostly everything will interchange. The only thing that I can think of that is different is the exhaust system on the 626 is longer since the car is longer, but it shouldnt be hard to fit one with a little custom work. As far as the ABS system. It's possible, but it requires a lot of work. Your halfshafts need to be changed, as well as the rear hubs, and then you gotta run the wiring for the sensors and the ABS computer (which resides under the seat). The ABS computer ties into the alternator and the guage cluster and I dont know if those wires will already be there. Oh and the fuel filter is different as well on the ABS model.

Also, on the intake, I would suggest either a Ractive filter like I have or just use the K&N filter. When I had an open-style cone filter on my old mx-6 nonturbo, the heat soak was terrible and actually reduced a lot of power especially in the summer. My friend (Kennymx6) has the car now and he put the stock airbox back in and installed a K&N drop in filter, and this has given the most power gains. The 2.2 N/A dosent really suck in all that much air, so the stock airbox isnt really a problem. Oh and make sure you keep the little boot that goes from the airbox to the fender, that's where all the cold air comes from. Trust me it works good. Kenny's car clocked a 0-60 of 9.2 seconds, and his is an ATX. That's GREAT for a 2.2 N/A with ATX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts