Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get 17" rims. Now all I need to know is the max width I can go if I want to lower my car(7, 7.5, or 8). Also, should I get coilovers or lowering springs. Thank you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
the widest you can go is 8 that will also allow for a wider tire (225/235) as for springs it's on you there are many different opinions on the matter. I went with just springs and new struts. (H&R and KYB) I was told that coilovers are more for racing and have a stiffer ride. But with those you can customize your ride height. Do a search either here or at http://www.probetalk.com either way I think you will be happy oh doing just springs is cheaper if you are on a budget.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd suggest 7.5 and you probably won't want to go wider than 225's if your planning on lowering the car alot. Personally coil-overs are the way, this allows for more versatility it you change skirts, tires or other features that may affect your clearance. Plus if you just want to drive to the cottage and the roads are a little rougher you can raise it up. The ride will be a little rougher but jsut make sure you get some struts that provide adequate dampening

·
Registered
321 Posts
I do agree with you guys about the size of the wheels I have 17x7's sitt'n on 215 40's and the ride is nice. I just wanted him to know how wide he could go. It just really comes down to what your needs for your car are

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello again,

as in reference from what superman said...remember it also depends if you are going to stress the ball bearings out in your car. Even tie-rods too. Remember...the wider the rim is, you will get better handling and also a better chance for you to acquaplan to. I'll say it again...17X7...17X8 is too wide.

anthony

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know this is totally off the subject but integrale how did you construct a heatsheild for your intake. I have a weapon R I really don''t want to buy a cold air because of the weather issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello superman,

I bought aluminum sheet metal at home depot...it cost 7 dollars. It measures 24X36"s. you can make 2-3 of them depending if you want to cover the whole filter. It is easily bendable...I took the exact measurements...I still have to make the hole possibly using a jigsaw with a blade that uses metal(or if you want to bring it to a machine shop)...if you are going to make it measure it enough that the metal itself hit the hood inside the engine bay. I'm almost finished with it...in ny we don't need it now. There is enough plenty of cold air. I just want to put it on for the spring and summer. Have anymore questions email me.

Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts