Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of windnoise coming from the windows on my 97 Mx-6. In a car wash, sometimes water gets through as well. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is this typical of the car due to the type of windows it has? Can I fix the problem cheaply? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wind noise

I get wind noise from the right window when air is not set to "recirculate", due to the seal having a dent in it. It usually goes away if I lower and raise the window. My guess would be that your window seal is a little "tired". A drop of silicone lube spread over it might help, otherwise I suppose you'd have to replace the seals.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Colin said:
I have a lot of windnoise coming from the windows on my 97 Mx-6. In a car wash, sometimes water gets through as well.
What happens at times is when you close your car door with the windows up and sunroof closed, pressure is created inside the cabin. Then since it has nowhere to go when you slam the door, the door might close but the window itself will not seat properly in the gasket. Then you'd basically have a gap a few millimeters thick where wind or water may come in. Like slimdave mentioned. the easiest thing that could be done is once you have the door closed, lower your windoe a tiny bit and then close it again, that way it will sit just right on the gasket.

What also happens sometimes when you have the door closed and raise up your window, it might not raise up all the way because your power window motor might be going. Since when the window is raised to the top, it needs to create a tight seal with the gasket, sometimes it has a hard time pulling the window up and against the gasket causing the window to stop a few millimeters away from the very top. Thus causing exesive windnoise and allowing water to go in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your ideas

I have tried lowering the window and raising it after closing the door but it didn't help. My room mate has a 94 Probe and experiences the same problem, however lowering the raising the window actually works for him. Are the window seals expensive to replace? I would feel a lot better about my car if I could get rid of this annoying problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wind noise

Yep. I had a lot of wind noise too. So here is how how I fixed it. I went to the hardware store and got some thin weather stripping and put it BEHIND the door seal. That is the fix.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
There are also top "stops" on the window runners.
Take the door panel off and give it a little more on the side that has the noise. BE CAREFUL not to go to much or you might catch the glass when closing the door.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you all put the thin weather stripping along the back (straight) edge of the window or just along the top and the front slanted part? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts