Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else worried about water in their engine over the wet season? I was :(

I've removed my CAI and bolted the filter onto a 4" length of 3" diameter exhaust pipe. The filter is now sitting quite nicely up between the battery and dizzy, well out of harms way. :)

OK, I know I'm going to get warm air, not cold, but who drives to the max in the Winter anyway? })

Oh, and if you're wondering about the vacuum hose - I found that drilling a 5mm hole in the pipe and fitting a cut-down washer pipe adaptor allowed me to fit the hose just nicely thank you...

Ken
I would post a pic, but it's cold and wet out there. :E

·
Registered
359 Posts
clever - like the idea Ken.. like to see a pic! :rolleyes:

Rich

·
Registered
359 Posts
come on.. quickly now! :D :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
looking really good mate.. sorry 'bout yer slippers! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
ken, are you talking about normal wet/rainy roads or deeper water as in several inches deep?? dont forget im new to the cai brigade.

Mike

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only worried about deeper water Mike.

I got caught out on a country road on the way to work last year. Had a choice of driving through a 1' flood or back-tracking about 5 miles and being 20 minutes late for work. I chose the flood because I know how to drive 'em. If I'd had the CAI on I would have had to choose being late. :(

I'm not saying that everyone should do the same (Dave's had no problems - even in Manchester) but if there's any chance I may have to drive through anything more than 'standing water' I don't want to take the chance - water and engines don't mix well!

For the sake of a small loss of power (don't forget, that's where Cruise has his Green fitted all the time) and a couple of ££'s it's worth it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
flood

when driving through a deep bit of water just keep a constant speed not to fast make bow wave keep it constant u b fine [email protected]

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
(Dave's had no problems - even in Manchester)
Wot you tryin' to say mate.. us up north of watford get more rain... OK then, if you say so.. and before Andy pipes up.. he gets it worse than us, so fair do's mate.. anyway, I got a bit of Scottish blood.. MacDonald to be exact.. on me grandma's side. and before any of you start... it's not the burgers.

back to the point.. and it's about time mine came up of the floor.. yes, it's that low down it's caught a few times. :(

John

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
John John John

and it's about time mine came up of the floor.. yes, it's that low down it's caught a few times.
, now stop boasting m8, we don't believe that for 1 minute m8 }) }) }) .

Andy.

Didn't that McDonald lot get chased outta here :) :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
John John John

and it's about time mine came up of the floor.. yes, it's that low down it's caught a few times.
, now stop boasting m8, we don't believe that for 1 minute m8 }) }) }) .

Andy.

Didn't that McDonald lot get chased outta here :) :)

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, having run with the Winter intake for a few weeks now, I can report that the power dropoff is very noticeable. So much so that it's difficult to get the car to 6500rpm in 4th. I even lost out in a straight run against my brother in his 2L Calibra!!

After chatting to a few tech-heads, it's not just the fact that the incoming air is hot - the length of intake is important too. The correct length of intake for the MX6 is about 44", and the VRIS settings, ECU etc are tuned for that length. Anything shorter makes a difference in performance, and with mine only being about 18"...

So, I'm going to put the CAI back on for now and look to build a mid-length pipe. I'll probably use some drain pipe - it worked OK for John and Andy :)

Ken

·
Registered
900 Posts
Funny that Ken, cos I put my new filter straight on to the Air Flow meter and I get much more power / torque??

Will

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ken

it worked OK for John and Andy
, What do you mean sir, drain pipe indeed :(, that was top notch exhaust pipe we bought :), and how dare you put me in the same bracket as that skinflint beardy guy called John (sometimes known as mr plumming of the car world) }) }) .

Andy

PS

and whats this stuff about a 44" intake on the car i wonder how they reached that conclusion as the original airbox is no where near 4 feet, well 4 inch short, so ask them how they got to 44" Ken :).

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The length is measured from the TB, through the airbox and forward as far as the front of the original intake (on top of the rad).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts