Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m using an 1989 Mx-6 Turbo wire harness to do an efi conversion on my mazda b2200. I have all the wire harness diagrams, but none of them explain this white connectors pin out. It’s obviously needed as it supplies the power to the ecu and accompanying electronics. Can someone help me?! I believe I’ve almost got the ecu completely lined out, but if there is a spread sheet that explains each pin that would be radical too. I truly appreciate any and all help. As this has been a frustrating part of the build.
AF798F21-9F9C-4DBA-9101-3A17D1E32262.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mike,
Thank you for responding. I have looked over that sheet multiple times and I don’t know if I’m reading it wrong or not. The connector is the dem-01( dash/emissions). The pin out need is for the 1989 Mx-6 turbo. Maybe I just don’t know how to read it. I was hoping there was a table somewhere the specified each pin of the dem-01. Alas, I may have waited too long to do this conversion. It’s been a bear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, shit.
At least let me show you what I’ve been up to. I was hoping to post this on mazdatrucking, but the site crashed.

First I had to fab a new dizzy to fit my truck. So I could run the stock ecu with all the stock turbo components to put on my B2200.

So I combined the dizzy of a donor 1989 mazda Mx-6 turbo with my 1992 mazda b2200.
I cut the bottoms off each dizzy. Then welded the to rods together(it won’t hold, but this is proof of concept. I plan on getting one made).
Next I combine the bottom half of my truck dizzy casing with the top half of the Mx-6 casing.
Added a new oil seal. Then put the whole monstrosity together. Took about a month to fab that bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’ll have to forgive me. There were less photos on the efi conversion. Though sourcing parts was a bit of a pain. Just time.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But now I’m stuck on wiring the thing. Sort of sucks. Maybe I can figure out how to read diagram. But it’s Latin to me. I can do the mechanics, but wiring is a whole different field.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Did you only grab the 89GT engine harness?
The wiring manual does cover the wires in that plug but you need the other harness (dash section) to trace out where they go.
By deductive reasoning I will guess any cluster warning light that comes from the ECU (check engine, oil pressure...) should be running through that connector, so look at the back of the cluster pinout for the colors of wires in that connector.
You do understand the color chart and labeling for the wire harnesses. The legend is at the beginning of the wiring section.
B-Black, R-red, L- blue...
B/L = Black with blue stripe.
For the most part each wire has it's own color code, so W/R white with red stripe and all the places it is found is the same wire or group of wires connected together.
If you look at the page with the A21SB lines at the top, Turbo, ignition system, Engine and fuel control system 50-26
and look at the W/R wire you will notice it comes from main relay No1, it goes to the igniter, to the ignition coil and condencer em-28 and to all 4 injectors.

When you look at the connectors pictured for DEM-01 the connector at the ECU side is the lower picture, the connector at the dash harness side is the upper connector. The pins are reversed in the upper picture because it plugs into the lower connector. The diagrams show the view looking inside the plug. So the upper connectors upper left pin <B/LG> B goes to the lower connectors upper right pin B/LG.

So you need to list the colors of the wires that are in the upper connector, used for turbo without ec-at (for automatics) and find those in the dash harness section of the wiring manual.

Hope this helps get you on the right path.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mazda Carnage,

Thank you, brother for chiming in. Its appreciate.

I was only able to grab the harness(dem-01 EM side) from the donor vehicle, before the vehicle was recycled( pick-a-part). I did however cut out the the DEM-01 Dash side of the harness from a comparable year 626 non turbo. All colored wires match minus one black, which I assume is a ground, but because i wasn't able to grab the full DEM-01 dash side harness. I am unable to back track. I don't really care to have any of the warning light, or dash info from the Mx-6 ECU. I just need to operate the vehicle. I have mechanical gauges to make sure nothing goes wildly wrong. I just don't know how to power everything off the harness. Ignition coil, Injectors, dizzy, etc. I don't know if that power comes from the ECU or off the DEM-01 connector.

If everything is powered off the ECU, and power just need to be sent to the ECU. Then it's an easy operation.
3J- Battery power always on (memory)
3d- Batter power if in gear or clutch not engaged for start up
3B- Battery power upon starting (I assume for injector function and timing)
20- Ignition switch ON
I just don't know if any component has its own power sent to it thru the DEM-01 connector. I still going to be running the trucks ECU for some amount of functionality. Like the windshield wipers. Starter function. Water temp...etc, but some of that will be pigged off to the MX-6 ECU. as needed.

Do you know if the ECU is the only thing required to send power to? Or do each component have its own need for power thru the DEM-01?

Thank your take the time to help

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I can help you with it when I get back home on Monday. I've done plenty of swaps, just been long enough to not remember off the top of my head. Power is supplied from under the hood, but I can't remember if the switched power is as well. The connectors are mostly for the dash/ gauges and stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Matt,

That would be awesome!!! Thank you!!!
Hello Diabetic.Depending where you are, I may have the "missing" dash harness from an '89 MX6 already pulled and bagged for you. Actually it it is the entire wiring system from the entire car disassembly, including junction box, ecm, body harness, fuse and relay boxes. With the wiring diagram pdf Matt sent you(pgs 50-21,50-22) you can follow where each pin of DM-1 leads to. I admire what you are doing, and would give the harness to you. I know Iwill never use it. Let me know. JohnnyO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Diabetic.Depending where you are, I may have the "missing" dash harness from an '89 MX6 already pulled and bagged for you. Actually it it is the entire wiring system from the entire car disassembly, including junction box, ecm, body harness, fuse and relay boxes. With the wiring diagram pdf Matt sent you(pgs 50-21,50-22) you can follow where each pin of DM-1 leads to. I admire what you are doing, and would give the harness to you. I know Iwill never use it. Let me know. JohnnyO
Johnny,
You’re generosity is amazing! I wouldn’t be able to thank you enough. I’m in Idaho. I would gladly pay for shipping. I’ll private message you. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The white connector in your first picture connects to a plug from what I'll best call the harness that mounts to the interior part of the firewall. It is not part of the dash harness (the one that weaves through the dash assembly) just so you'll know. It sounds like you're getting quite a lot wiring, including the section you need if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The white connector in your first picture connects to a plug from what I'll best call the harness that mounts to the interior part of the firewall. It is not part of the dash harness (the one that weaves through the dash assembly) just so you'll know. It sounds like you're getting quite a lot wiring, including the section you need if I understand correctly.
Hey Ugly,

That was my concern, but if I acquire the whole shabang. Then it will be less of a concern. In truth, when I started this project, I knew this was going to be my personal hang up, but simply wasn’t able to grab everything I needed from the donor car before it was sent to the crusher, and not being heavily knowledgeable on wiring, I didn’t focus on grabbing everything I should have when I could have, but I didn’t know what I should have grabbed in the first place. Johnnys amazing offer puts all that to rest. Hopefully be able to post a vid of the this mazda Mx6/b2200 monstrosity running!

Cool little note. The rubber boot on the wire harness for the car fits perfectly in the b2200s ac piping whole through the fire wall. I’ll post a pic here When I get the chance to snap one. How neat is that?!?

Diabetes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts