Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Aiwa in dash cd player about 5 months ago and its been working really great for me, i did all the wiring myself and even though it was my first attempt on something like this it worked out well. Anyway, this morning when i started the car, the stereo wouldn't power up, same thing with the antenna (it wouldn't raise). I smelled something burning, but i was in a real hurry to school so i figured i'd look at it when i get home. Since then i had the stereo out, checked all 3 fuses (in fuse box for stereo, on stereo, and the antenna fuse), they're all fine. When i hooked up the stock stereo in, it doesn't work either, but when i have lights on the numbers and buttons light up, but the display doesn't. Another thing i noticed, the inside lights stopped working, and the green background light for the ignition isn't working either. I'm planning to check all other fuses tomorrow, however i don't think fuses smell when they burn out. Also, when i had the old stereo hooked up and headlights on, the inside lights kinda worked, they were very dim though, as if the battery was dying, but its not cause i can start easily and headlights work perfectly (i also replaced the battery about 4 months ago). i'm very confused, so i'm trying to figure out if there's anything i can try before i take it to the dealer to have them look at it. thanks for any input

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah check all your fuses... do your parking/tail lights work? when you say that everything lights up except the display, it sounds like you might be getting ACC power but not constant power. take a meter or test light to your leads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found out that the "room" fuse was burned out....
i got a new harness and completely rewired the stereo, even though it was burning out the fuse even withough having the wiring harness in. same thing, the fuse still burned out. then the next day i disconnected the fuse box to look if some wires weren't touching there. nothing, but i put another fuse in just to see if i wouldn't see smoke or something, guess what, the second i put the fuse in everything started working, the lights went on and everything, but i still didn't have the stereo in, so i pluged that in and it worked also. that was 3 days ago...i have to note that when this first burned out it was raining outside. today, on the way from work everything worked fine, i stopped for gas and when i started the car then, the fuse burned out again. so it obviously happens only when its really humid. also, i probably forgot to mention this before, when the fuse burns out, the "door open" light blinks, it doesn't stay on, but blinks, and did that till i replaced the fuse. could it be some switch in the door? i'll bypass the factory amp tomorrow if i can find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts