Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator just went bad on one of my cars.

while im replacing the alternator i want to upgrade the power and ground wires from the alt. to battery and battery to chassis.

how hard is this to do?

does the power wire from the alt go straight to the battery or does it branch off somewhere?

and to upgrade the ground wire do i just run the wire right off the negative terminal to a chassis ground?

i need help asap so i can drive this car again.

thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, have a look under the hood and see for yourself? :) might be handy with a worklight or a small flashlight.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well i was just wondering if it branchs off on the power side.

it went bad on my way home tonight, its dark and 25 degrees outside.

i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this quickly and if it did branch off were.

i guess i'll look tomorrow morning.

thanks neways

does anyone know the length of wire i will need to complete this uprade? i was thinking about 10-15 feet could do it but idk?

i am going with 3 gauge wire from stinger.

how much would you guys recomend me buying.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the alt done a week or so ago but a new stereo system is about to go into this car and i am now wanting to upgrade all the wires under the hood now.

is it just a straight shot from the alt to battery +?

can i just ground the - side of the battery to the chassis?

someone please help me out i am wanting to get this done soon.

ik someone on here has done this upgrade just give me a few tips

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Even if the main + feed from the alternator does branch off (and I'm not saying that it does)
You can add an extra wire from the + terminal on the alternator to the battery.

Just be really carefull that the wire is well unsulated and that it cannot possibly rub on anything.
If it ever shorted out on the body you would have a fire on your hands.

You could also try putting a 100amp circuit breaker near the battery.
But better to do it right to start with and never have to rely on the circuit breaker.

And I would have thought that you would need no more than about 5-6 feet of cable to get this done.
That said I wouldn't bother with more than generic OFC 4AG cable as it would only cause about 0.02V drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts