Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my drivers seat the other day to put in a new one, and I noticed a small grey box underneath it. It had electrical wires going into it and the letters "GJ25 NPSK" etched on it. I have also seen this in another 6 at the junkyard... I looked through the Haynes manual, but could not find it anywhere.. So I was wondering if any of you could inform me what this thing is... really curious about it...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well somewhere around here is a thread about a box under teh drivers seat with a sticker you can remove, that will expose a switch, and you can adjust your steering or suspsension (I have an LX so I don't remember which).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, it's the power steering box. When you remove a sticker, don't remember which one, there's a switch that allows you to set the amount of power steering assistance. Firm, normal, or easy. I have mine set on easy, which is the opposite of everyone else. The power steering assists more and it's easier to turn. Everyone else likes to fight their steering wheels, I guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think its only on the GT's with the auto adjusting steering.

Blind Freddie said:
Do you know does 626 have one? prolly not :(. where is it under the carpet or just under the seat?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The 626 with the turbo also has the box under the seat you guys are talking about. There's only one sticker on it, and the sticker has a pic of a switch with the letters H/N/L or something like that on it (for High, normal, and low). Peel off the sticker to reveal a little switch. Switch the switch towards high or low to increase or decrease your steering stiffness.
I say 626 with the turbo becuase the turbo 626 was not called GT. The turbo 626 was either a TS or LX.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I removed the seat, checked the box, found the sticker and took it off, it was set to N so I switched it to H as suggested, but did not really notice any difference... For those who have done this, is the difference very noticable or neglible ??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It is noticable.
Now switch it from H directly to Low, and then try it out, and back to H again. You notice the contrast then.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
This box is only on cars with Electronically Controlled Power Steering (ECPS), which I believe is only on MX6-GT's and 626 Turbo's. Other MX6's and 626's (like my '91 DX) have Engine Speed Sensing Power Steering (ESPS).

As for the box switch itself, Directly from my shop manual, it says :

"If heavier steering effort is required : H Setting"
"If lighter steering effort is required : L Setting"

it also says "approx 10% variation at 10km/h (6.2mph) or more"

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
antiSUV said:
I say 626 with the turbo becuase the turbo 626 was not called GT. The turbo 626 was either a TS or LX.
Nope, the 626 turbo was definitely called a GT. And yeah, it has the steering adjustment too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts