Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 88 gt and heres my probs with it
the car only starts when it wants to normally if i dont touch it for three days it will start
it runs good when its running but when i shift into neutral the rpms drop low and it stalls and i have to pop the clutch to start it
after its been running if it stalls or i shut it off it will not start untill i leave it for bout 3 days
can someone help me with this its really pissin me off as i dont have the cash to send it away to get looked at by professionals
yes i do have some mechanical knowledge and so does my dad

·
Registered
224 Posts
Possible vac leak.. Check vacume lines and listen for hissing check ur throttle body for buildup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jsut put in a disty and we adjusted the timing a little and it helped but we made a huge discovery today!
the car is only running on 3 cylinders
the fourth one(closest to the disty) is not running, when we took the spark plug wire off while it was running it mad no difference to the way it ran
all cylinders are getting great spark, we came to the conclusion that it is gettin no fuel in the fourth cylinder b/c the plug was not wet
my dad knows nothing about how fuel injection works so can someone help me figure out why there would be no fuel in teh fourth cylinder

·
Registered
499 Posts
DUDE!! there you go!! Either the injector took a leave of absense (no longer works) or the wires are broken. Now depending on the voltage going to the injector, you might be able to use a test light on that plug to see if it lights up. If the test light lights up then the injector is your prob.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that problem is fixed!! it was the plug for the injector that was a little loose, the clip is missing so i guess it bounced up enough that it wouldn't work, pushed it back in and boom all four cylinders again(feel the power again!)
but the sad
the car still doesn't start like it should takes bout 5 tries of 10 sec each in order for it to fire up
i have to turn the disty all the way advanced and unplug the top line on the egr and then it offers alot better

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
is the startup problem only after the car has already ran for a while?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it only gives me troubles when i have had it running and then shut it off... sometimes it doesn't like to start when im first starting it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
um ya but they only come on when im driving.. and when i was able to check the it gave me code 17?? but thats not a code

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
code 17 isnt a code? lol......fix the code/s before you try to troubleshoot anymore

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
It's probably code 16, the EGR position sensor. Take it off and clean it. I would also make sure your distributor is about in the middle as far as adjustment. If your too retarded in timing, it'll take quite a bit to get your car started. If you're too far advanced, your car will start usually with one flip of the key.

·
Registered
121 Posts
code 17

does the check engine light come on when you are "cruising"? by this i mean are you steady on the gas the light comes on you let off the gas and the light goes off? if so check the egr valve, this is under the intake by the pass side strut tower, you can check it with a vacuum pump. there may be other factors at work here though. hope this helps

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya i have taken that off before and cleaned it, maybe ill clean it again but better..
um ya the light come on when im on the gas. i know code 17 isn't a code but thats what it was saying 1 big flash then 7 little ones
i checked it like 5 times and thats what i came up with and i didn't think it was a code

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i took off the egr and soaked the inside with carb clean and left it for awhile.. that fixed that problem.. but now it comes on when im just cruising(better than before i guess) umm but i still have the hard start problem...
took me bout 10 min to start today but after it was started it started everytime just takes a little while(ten seconds)
could my starter be weak?

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
code 17 is the oxygen sensor. replace it, its 20 bucks. the car will run a lot better after its warmed up, not so rich. even though the o2 feedback is bad, the car should start ok every time.....

does the car idle and drive smooth? you sure you dont have any vacuum leaks or a torn throttle body boot? how does it feel when you boost on the turbo?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can't be my o2 sensor i just replaced it with the bosch one... um its boosting amazing once im a 3 grand it sucks me back like it always has
i have checked and double checked for leaks i just can't find any at all

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the car idles fine sometimes there is tho odd hesitation but doesn't stall now
could it be my starter just isn't putting out enough power?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts