Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Drove the car yesterday and ran FINE. Today comes and it wont start. It turns over just fine, but its not fireing. I can smell fuel so I know its getting gas. The posts Ive found say to check the timing belt and the coil. I can do that.... BUT...:help:

OK, I dont consider myself to be a n00b to cars, but auto shop was a LONG time ago and that was the last time I did any of this...

Whats the safest way to check for spark?

How the heck do I hook up a remote start?

And how (god I feel like a n00b...) do you hook up a timing light?:sigh:

:(

All this coming from a guy who was about to rebuild his head...

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Under the fuse box by the battery there is a single red/black wire that leads from the neutral switch to the starter. If you disconnect that wire you can use that as a remote start by just tapping a lead wire onto the positive battery terminal. Its ghetto but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
kenny_boy019 said:
Exelent guys, thanks.

I have a remote start switch for this sort of thing. Should I just hook it up to the wires?
you would prolly want to "T-tap" into that wire, and put your switch between the wire and a positive source. I'm assuming you just want it as an under-hood switch so that you dont have to have someone crank the car over for you, am i right?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If your car is an MTX isn't a remote start kinda a bad idea seeing as you need to leave the car in neutral when it's parked for it to work? I know I dont wanna install a remote start because I park on a hill. Yeah i aint leaving my car in neutral on a hill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no no. Not THAT type of remote start. Its so I can crank the engine without having to turn the key.

Alright, my car hates me.

I go out there to start working on it and I decide to give it one last crank for good times sake.

The damned bloody pice of $#!% starts on the first try.:shrug:

So the question is, would the temps being a little below freezing have anything to do with it not starting? Could the water in the battery froze or somthing? The terminals are coroded as hell so I know I need to replace the wires.

OOHH, and what can I do to re-thread one of my spark plug holes without taking off the head? Would rubbing axle grease then using my finger to take out the metal shavings work well enough? I dont want to remove the head cause the compression is about 120 across the board so theres nothing that needs to be fixed with that.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
They do make insert kits that simply thread in and then you use the included tool to punch the insert so it expands and locks in. I know that autozones around here have them so you can probably find one.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
so first thing i would say then is CHANGE YOUR BATTERY. When you battery is all corroded and stuff it may just be a bit old and when you get a new battery get this goop i got for mine. You put it on the terminal and your battery will be corrosion free. And for your question about the spark plug....simple answer....no. If you rethread the hole then you will definatly get metal shavings in the cylinder and the only way to get down there would be pulling the head. Sorry buddy....sounds like you got some work ahead of you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts