Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i ahve a problem starting my car now, i cleaned my engine bay with water the other day, but i covered everythign up right, but i drove it around after and it didnot ride right but i thought it might just clear up after a few miles but it did not so wheni got home it just cut off on me when the RPM got down low like 0, but i checked the plugs and wires they r not wet if they were i dried all the holes and plugs out, can yall help me with this maybe the coil is bad or i shorty something out just give me ideas where to start and how to fix it thanks guys , the wires r not gettign any spark, the battery is fine just help me out guys thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
well it seems like you got your distributor wet. Check that and it might just take a while to dry.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Definitely the distributor is th efirst hing you shoul dcheck. remove all of the spark plugs from it, remove it and make sure there's no water in it. If there is then thoughly dry it with a hair drier if possible and try it again. If not, just get another one from yoru locasl parts store.

Then again, if you say that the car died when the RPMs were low, then it could be that you knocked a vaccum hose loose while spraying. Check everything again and make sure everything is nice and tight.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i did check the distributor and it is dry and i dried it soem more but there is no power making it to there so it had to be fore that part of the car, maybe the coil or something maybe i shortied somthing out any idea help, thank guys

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
riceater6 said:
well i did check the distributor and it is dry and i dried it soem more but there is no power making it to there so it had to be fore that part of the car, maybe the coil or something maybe i shortied somthing out any idea help, thank guys
There's not an electrical connector under the hood that is waterproof. They are generally water resistant (as in tolerating light road spray) but they won't much like having a stream of water directed at them. It'll be worse if the water came from one of those high-pressure coin-operated places.

You might consider disconnecting the easy-to-get-to electrical connectors (the two injector harnesses, the TPS, the two distributor connectors and the NE2 crankshaft position sensor connector), drying them out as best as you can, spraying in some WD-40 to displace the water and then smearing some dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion setting in.

If it still doesn't start, you'll need to look deeper as to why there's no spark.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well guys i still have not had any luck with starting it, it did everything yall said and now i see that my rotor button in the distributor is cracked a little i will get a new one and see what happens any more help from u guys would be great thanks alot

G

·
0 Posts
That sucks!

This has happened to me on a couple of newer cars too. It happened after I cleaned the engine too. The few times it's happened, it was either A) I knocked a vacuum hose loose or B) water got into an electrical contact somewhere. Just do what Mike and Jorge mentioned (after replacing your rotor of course). Hopefully the new rotor will be the solution, since doing either A or B will probably take a lot of time to correct. Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
when u where washing your engine, did u leave it running or did u turn it off?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was off but i started it up right after and i dried it down really good too and drove it up the rode maybe 10 min later but then it was running rough with little power

·
Registered
179 Posts
when you wash your engine it needs to be running or you could cause serious damage to your block and etc. that is if it is hot when u were washing it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know that it was nto hot at all but i have to get a distrubtor for it that is the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts