Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove around a little today then when I was leaving work my car wouldn't start. It turns over but the dash lights flicker and the cranks real slow. But the lights are fine when I am not cranking the engine over. I replaced the starter a few months back, maybe the alternator or the battery?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sounds like a battery.

If it jumps and holds the charge, it's the battery. If it jumps and dies a mile down the road, it's the alternator.

Or not. :D

You could get the battery checked at a parts store. When mine died, I took it in, it failed, and they gave me a brand spankin new one. Gotta love 3 year free replacement warranties.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Like Illswyn said, if you jump it and it dies alternator. But I would suggest getting your battery checked, it's free.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
won't start

Cold weather puts an added strain to an older weak battery, so that's a good easy place to start. However, if the battery is new, then check your terminal leads and have it load tested.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Funny I replied here, and just last night my Tempo wouldn't start. No clicking even. It eventually made a slight whirring noise, and holding the ignition turned, it EVENTUALLY started.

It's a new battery, but I think there's gotta be a short somewhere. There is front end damage, and have had the alternator replaced, and the replacement replaced. The non-start problem is recent, only yesterday, and once today. It has stalled a few times when my girlfriend drives it. Never when I drive it :rolleyes: The + terminal is corroded already, pretty annoying. I assume I'll be hauling this battery in soon to be checked, hopefully it's the problem. I get my batteries at Discount Auto, 3 yr warranty battery is $50-60 I believe, maybe less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts