Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 626 2.0 that will turn over but it won't start. I have a new distributor, cap and rotor set, timing belt, water pump, ignition coil, plugs, and wires. When I went to change my plugs there was a little water in the spark plug wells. I did a compression check and it read 80 across all 4 cylinders. Does this mean that I have a blown head gasket? Thanks to any one that can help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why was there water in the combustion chamber? Did the car get flooded? My 626 got flooded up to the stereo and I had the same starting promlems. Turns out there was 4 1/2 gallons of water in the fuel tank. Drained the tank, fresh gas and new plugs. The car runs fine now.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You say 80 across all 4.... I presume this is Psi??? if so.. it's very low.. standard is 171psi with a minimum of 119 at 300rpm
maximum difference between cylinders is 28psi

I would say you have a gasket problem.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was 80 psi all the way across. I have another one done yesterday and it gave the same readings. I'm pretty sure I'm going have to get the head gasket replaced.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You might as well grind the valves in as well, while the head is off.. A new timing belt will be fitted, and you would be wise to do the water pump too.. it may be ok for now, but as the belt is off, it is the time to do it.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts