Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.... it took a 1" Breaker Bar with a six foot long bat attached to it (so 7 ft of leverage total). I broke probably $100 worth of tools (maybe $80 replacable for free).

I think what also Might have helped was using PB blaster instead of WD-40. :) After I got that nut off, it took me like 20 min to complete the job. I can't beleve the dealer actually wants $225 do to that.

I just wanted to say thanks to you all that gave me some tips on getting that nut off. I bought a new nut just in case I was going to have to cut the old one off. PB Blaster ownZ also. :)

Thanks again. The old CV joint was TOAST. It's easier to steer my car now because I have a joint that actually rotates.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
They are a bit hard to get off arent they? After you pull ethe driveshafts a couple times it does get a lot easier(althought the driver side takes more time).

Heres my setup

3/4"drive with an extension. I just stand on the end of the handle and give it one good bounce.

Gavin

G

·
You must weigh a good bit more than me. Because I could bounce all day long on a breaker bar and it wouldn't budge :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh..... I'm 6 ft 7" and 280lbs. :) I could break tools all day by bouncing on them. (Used to be 330lb back in my football days). :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
when i did the axle on my gl, i rested the breaker against the ground. started the car, revved it and popped the clutch. it got it off real easy :D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
WeldingHank said:
when i did the axle on my gl, i rested the breaker against the ground. started the car, revved it and popped the clutch. it got it off real easy :D
breaker bar flies off, lands on windshield, breaks glass and puts big dent in hood... ouch!

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol, that's good. Or you snap something and you end up destroying a lot more of the sh*t that's around there then you wanted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i found that the only breaker bar that would do it and not break was a snapon

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's how I broke my 1 INCH breaker bar. :) Not a good idea for everyone.... In my Material Science class, that's what we would call "torsion tested"

On a side note.... the old CV axle, when I took it out, the inner boot was the one with no grease, but the outer one was fine, yet the joint felt VERY loose... that's not normal is it? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts