Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in the house after round 2 in the battle to try to take the factory deck out of my '95. Why does it have to be so difficult? I still haven't gotten the thing to budge. I made removal keys out of a coat hanger and did just what the http://www.installdr.com documentation said by pushing each key out away from each other but still no luck. I even thought I could feel the clips move, but yet the deck wouldn't budge.

Is it just me, or is this the worst design ever?

pissed and frustrated,
-matt

·
Registered
321 Posts
alright just calm down and take a deep breathe. Yes it is a pain to remove. first did you remove the dash trim? the radio is screwed down. if you remove the knob and face plate it is easier to work with. I found that using to flat head screw drivers worked better than a hanger. unlatch one side at time this should make things easier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the deck of my '93 mx-6 slid out rather easyally with the DIN tools provided by crutchfield, you can probably buy a simlar set at your local Best Buy or other sterio installer, cost a buck or two but just may save your sanity.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought some DIN tools for about 2 bucks at Sears and it came out like a snap. Buy the tools or go to Circuit City or another car stereo place and I am sure they will take it out for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>>first did you remove the dash trim?

The first time I tried it I did remove the dash trim, then I read that it wasn't necessary so I didn't the second time.

>>the radio is screwed down.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Where are there any screws? I missed this. You're saying that aside from the clips on the side of the deck, that it's also screwed in somewhere? WHERE??? This would obviously make a big diference.

>>if you remove the knob and face plate it is easier to work with.

You mean remove the deck faceplate using the three clips on the top and bottom of the faceplate? I tried doing that the first night but never got it completelty off ... the buttons also do not work as good as they did after I tried this, so now I'm leary to mess with it. I can try it again, though, if it really helps.

>>I found that using to flat head screw drivers worked better than a hanger. unlatch one side at time this should make things easier.

Really? I could try screwdrivers instead. It must have been very small screwdrivers, though, to fit in the little holes. I don't know if I have two that are that tiny.

thanks for the tips, tonight is round three, :)
-matt

·
Registered
358 Posts
New6Owner? said:
>>first did you remove the dash trim?

The first time I tried it I did remove the dash trim, then I read that it wasn't necessary so I didn't the second time.

>>the radio is screwed down.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Where are there any screws? I missed this. You're saying that aside from the clips on the side of the deck, that it's also screwed in somewhere? WHERE??? This would obviously make a big diference.

>>if you remove the knob and face plate it is easier to work with.

You mean remove the deck faceplate using the three clips on the top and bottom of the faceplate? I tried doing that the first night but never got it completelty off ... the buttons also do not work as good as they did after I tried this, so now I'm leary to mess with it. I can try it again, though, if it really helps.

>>I found that using to flat head screw drivers worked better than a hanger. unlatch one side at time this should make things easier.

Really? I could try screwdrivers instead. It must have been very small screwdrivers, though, to fit in the little holes. I don't know if I have two that are that tiny.

thanks for the tips, tonight is round three, :)
-matt
I'm pretty sure that guy is talking about a completely different deck. I've removed my factory deck twice now using coat hangers. It was difficult the 1st time, but I eventually got all the clips to release, at which point the deck easily slides out. There are definately no screws holding it in, and you don't need to remove the dash, or any knobs.

Use the method described in that installdr website. Make sure the coat hangers are bent so the ends are parallel and even, so they line up correctly in the clips. Try inserting them in different angles and try to feel when you've caught the clips. Once you've caught the clips, it does take a fair amount of force to push them in - almost enough to bend the coat hanger handels. Also, you pretty much have to pull the deck out evenly. At first I got the left side uncliped, and pulled it out as much as I could, but this made it impossible to get the right side to release, so I had to push it back in and try to release both sides at the same time. Good luck - I know how frusterating this can be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo!!!!!! I got the deck out! FINALLY!!!

A big "thank you" to all the people that chimed in on this one. You all were a big help. I went out there tonight and got the factory deck out on the FIRST TRY! Piece of ccake to get the new one in too, and it looks great since there's no ugly faceplate kit to mess with.

The only real disappointment was that when I put a CD in or hit the Tape/MD button, the power antenna didn't go down. I wonder if this is an option I can set through the deck? Or do most/some/all aftermarket decks not lower the power antenna unless the the power on the radio is turned off?

once again, a HUGE thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help,
-matt

·
Registered
488 Posts
If the radio has botha power antenna and power amp turn on leads then you can get the antenna to go down when you go to CD or Tape. You would have had a blue wire and a blue w/white stripe wire. If you only had one then you don't have this option. Usually it is the more expensive radios that have it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg S said:
If the radio has botha power antenna and power amp turn on leads then you can get the antenna to go down when you go to CD or Tape. You would have had a blue wire and a blue w/white stripe wire. If you only had one then you don't have this option. Usually it is the more expensive radios that have it.
Darn, mine only had a blue wire. Oh well, I'll keep that in mind when I go to replace this deck sometime down the road. Thanks for the info!

-matt

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yes the factory deck can be a b!tch to get out.. You are supposed to use the remover hooks..(You pluck out the 4 little plugs surrounding the deck and insert them) But I had to drill 2/4 holes and unscrew the clips from the deck; my one was that stubborn….

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can buy those 2 clips from Auto Zone for like 99 cents. Stick em in until you hear a click, pull them so the bend away from each other clip { <--- (sterio) ---> } clip, pull out, your done.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
well tankfully the first time my deck was removed, it was by a thief. they did a very nice job of it too - no broken wires, not scratched dash pieces, etc.. and i had been looking to put in a new deck anyways!

but WHY someone would steal a stock tape deck is beyond me...

what hurts most is to think that maybe its a fellow mx6er :\

but the jokes on him that deck ate tapes for a long while.. so i hope he puts in his favorite tape and it eats it to shreds!!!!

lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts